VMware Communities
Dusica
Contributor
Contributor

Installing a downloaded version of windows vista

hey all,

im really having trouble with my mac recognizing the downloaded version of windows vista. its not recognizing the files of vista i downloaded from the windows web site AT ALL. im totally clueless as to what to do. PLEASE HELP ME!

0 Kudos
29 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Did you download an ISO file? If so, did you edit the settings of the VM to use the ISO file and to be connected at power on?

0 Kudos
Dusica
Contributor
Contributor

whats an ISO and where can i download it? thank u so much for responding, youre a life saver you have no idea. im so clueless on all of this

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

>whats an ISO and where can i download it?

Umm... well WHAT exactly DID you download from MS's site?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

What is the file called that you downloaded, and what URL did you get it from?

0 Kudos
Andreas_Masur
Expert
Expert

Well...what files did you download and from where?

Ciao, Andreas

0 Kudos
Dusica
Contributor
Contributor

i downloaded the three really large files that took hours to download of microsoft windows. it was broken up in 3 parts. thats all they gave me to download and now im trying to open it in the vmware fusion program and its not recognizing it...

0 Kudos
Andreas_Masur
Expert
Expert

i downloaded the three really large files that took

hours to download of microsoft windows. it was broken

up in 3 parts. thats all they gave me to download and

now im trying to open it in the vmware fusion program

and its not recognizing it...

Okay....how are these files called?

Ciao, Andreas

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

... and what are the names of those files? What URL did you download them from? I'm assuming that they are not MSDN or TechNet Plus copies of the Vista install DVDs here.

0 Kudos
Dusica
Contributor
Contributor

i bought windows vista and downloaded it straight from their official site. the files end in .wim .msi .dmg and .exe

0 Kudos
Andreas_Masur
Expert
Expert

i bought windows vista and downloaded it straight

from their official site. the files end in .wim .msi

.dmg and .exe

I still don't understand....where did you buy it and where did yo download it....please provide the specific website.

Ciao, Andreas

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

...and the full names of the files. We'd like to help, but we have no idea[/b] what you're talking about. If the URL is a bunch of random-ish characters, then you need to tell us how you got there (e.g. I went to microsoft.com, clicked on the "Download Vista in a .dmg", and filled out the registration).

0 Kudos
Dusica
Contributor
Contributor

i bought it from the official windows marketplace website. its from windows. the site www.windowsmarketplace.com

0 Kudos
Dusica
Contributor
Contributor

the files are install.wim boot.wim and x13-49116.exe

thank you all for helping. i appreciate it more than you could know

0 Kudos
erichtn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

According to the instructions on http://windowsmarketplace.com/content.aspx?ctId=395&tabid=1: There are three files that will be downloaded: install.wim, boot.wim, and a file with the extension ".exe".

The idea seems to be that you run the .exe from within a previous version of Windows to do an in-place upgrade.

Apparently you can burn a DVD (and use that to set up the VM in Fusion), but the Windowsmarketplace instructions are incoherent, namely:

"Can I burn a copy of the upgrade version of Windows Vista I have purchased?

Yes, you can burn a DVD of the downloaded files, but you will need to copy files locally on your machines before running the downloaded files. You are also eligible to receive software fulfillment—a DVD or 5 CDs--from Microsoft (you pay only shipping and handling)."

Maybe this info will help someone sort it out.

0 Kudos
Dusica
Contributor
Contributor

thank you! that helps immensly. i guess they never took into consideration if youre downloading it on a mac. do you think there is any way to open these files in vmfusion to be installed?

0 Kudos
Andreas_Masur
Expert
Expert

Well...this is an upgrade version....thus you can only install it on a running Windows system. In other words, you first need to install a virtual machine running e.g. Windows XP. Once this machine is running, copy the files over and then start the installation inside the virtual machine.

Ciao, Andreas

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Quoting the link: "We currently offer only upgrade editions of Windows Vista for download. Windows Vista full package products are available to buy and ship.", so yeah, it expects you to have an existing Windows install.

0 Kudos
erichtn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My guess is no, unless you have another Windows VM that you can use to run the .exe. Beyond that, I don't know. There are some smart people on this forum, though; maybe they have some ideas.

I also think that you may have purchased an upgrade edition, which means that you (probably) have to have a valid license for an earlier version of Windows (XP, Windows 2000, etc.) to use it.

At any rate, it looks like you can get a "backup" DVD from here for a nominal fee: http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/content.aspx?ctId=404&tabid=1

You should be able to use that DVD to create a VM in Fusion, if[/i] the license key you were provided with your purchase does not require a previous version of Windows.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

That's also if[/i] they ship you a bootable DVD, and not just one with the files you downloaded on it. Given how vague the website is, it wouldn't surprise me if it was just a backup of the files.

0 Kudos