VMware Communities
stevem11
Contributor
Contributor

Installing XP home on Intel iMac Leopard 10.5 with VM Fusion 1.1.3

I succeeded initially with great ease then made an error in getting rid of extra files from myhome network file transfer from old computer. It was working great before i got tired, careless and perhaps greedy for HD free space. Now when i get to the point of clicking "Finish" to start using the XP installation disk, it makes a "boop" sound and wont proceed. Never heard it before.

Craig at VM instructed me on how to onload Fusion and re-install, but it still ended up :"boop'.

Microsoft says there is no limit to how many times I can use the disk on this same computer plus they can't help me in this.

Apple/Fusion/Xp situation until Xp is installed.

Apple says they don't support Fusion and just don't have any training in it plus they say the have never heard the "boop" sound i played to them over the phone.

Do any of you have some suggestions??

Thanks,

Steve

Tags (6)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Silica_V
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Even i have not heard about "boop" sound, but i believe this could be an installer disk issue, hence try by creating an ISO image of the installer disk and map to Virtual Machine and try to install Guest OS.

Cheers,

Silica V.

Regards, Vijaykumar B.
stevem11
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for responding. I'm an amateur, but I tried it with a disk copy of OEM XP [which says "read only" and ran it. I quickly got an error message about UTF8 Screen. Then I ran it with the Microsoft disk and got the same message. I have gone from "boop" to UTF8 - what am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I succeeded initially with great ease then made an error in getting rid of extra files from myhome network file transfer from old computer. It was working great before i got tired, careless and perhaps greedy for HD free space.

So what exactly did you do? No offense, but in general, it's very difficult to figure out what's going on from your posts. If it was working fine before, why are you trying to create a new virtual machine? What exactly was working before?

0 Kudos
stevem11
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your help1

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Two and a half years later!?  Better late then never! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
stevem11
Contributor
Contributor

I thought I had cleared it long ago, but recently started getting reminders, so I responded today. Sorry that offends you

0 Kudos