VMware Communities
mikejm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Installing Windows10 on Intel Mac OS 10.14

Have had trouble reinstalling Windows10 after a HD crash.

Tried reinstalling Fusion and Windows from backup but after multiple attempts kept getting this error:

Cannot find a valid peer process to connect to

So I deleted all Fusion and Windows and reinstalled Fusion... now get screen to choose Legacy BIOS or UEFI (default).

Based on my OS version, should I choose UEFI?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Did you do a full clean install? Delete fusion, empty trash, reboot, empty trash, reinstall from a fresh download?

0 Kudos
mikejm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yes, used Find Any File to delete all VM files, even hidden, now I'm at the install Win10_21H2_English_x64.iso screen showing a choice of Legacy BIOS or UEFI or UEFI Secure.

Which should I choose based on my OS.

Intel Mac 10.14.6

Thank you.

0 Kudos
gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I would make sure in Advanced Settings that "Enable VBS" and Disable Side-Channel Mitigations" is checked.  You can then do UEFI secure boot.  Otherwise at least do UEFI with 64-bit Windows.  You can also use NVMe storage.  As an aside I have had a lot of problems with 32-bit Windows 10 being unable to upgrade major versions on UEFI and NVMe so for 32-bit I have stayed with BIOS booting and SATA drives.

0 Kudos
mikejm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the suggestions.

No one has been able to say what this error means or how to avoid it. I kept getting this trying to install so I deleted everything and starting over. Any idea what this error is about? It showed when I selected the iso file and after selecting Firmware Type.

Cannot find a valid peer process to connect to

0 Kudos
gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Exactly what version of Fusion are you installing?

0 Kudos
mikejm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

10.1.6 ... I had both VMWare 10.1 and Windows10 working ok until the drive died, now reinstalling.

0 Kudos
gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Per the chart Fusion 10 is not supported on MacOS 10.14 and I have no ideas how to get around this - https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2088571

0 Kudos
mikejm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ugh... I use 10.14 because many apps won't yet run on the new Apple M1.

Thanks for the link.

Upon further review it seems there is a difference in processors in the Mac that I had VM/W10 on and the 10.14 Mac I'm trying to install on. UGH.

My workaround is to use my old MBPro 2016 that has VM and 5 year old Windows10...

Thanks to everyone for your help.

0 Kudos