VMware Communities
ezmac
Contributor
Contributor

Installing Windows 8 Pro

Hello guys,

I 've tried to install windows 8 pro over XP and up, and after installation is finished Windows hangs, nothing works even magic mouse has problems and seems to jump time to time.

Because I bought install CD, I tried to create a VM from scratch... My Windows 8 pro VM worked untly activation. Of course it don't worked :smileycry:

They seem a bit paranoiac ... I bought all licences since XP !!

There isn't not workaround because I don't wan to pay a ful licence ?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
avanish321
Expert
Expert

0 Kudos
ezmac
Contributor
Contributor

avanish321 escribió:

Refer

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1026670

or

Refer the registry method described at

http://www.ghacks.net/2012/10/27/windows-8-upgrade-clean-install-possible/

That not answer my question:

I'll try to explain me better ( sorry for my poor English )

1.- upgrading from an old windows version ( XP / VISTA / W7 ) doesn't work: network, magic mouse, keyboard hangs randomly.

2.- installign from scratch works works fine until, registration code is requested.

It seems that W8 looks for some info from previous windows installed on the disk.

I made a search on Fusion comunity and no entry for my problem.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Have a look at "Activate Windows 8 Pro Upgrade" in Windows 8 Upgrade: clean install possible?.

0 Kudos
avanish321
Expert
Expert

Hi,

For Q2, the links provided are applicable. The license key for windows 8 which you currently have is probably an upgrade key. Many Windows 8 user have experienced same issue. They assume its full version whereas its not in majority of windows 8 buyers. Both links posted addresses this issue for fresh install.

For Q1, the sluggish ness, slowness, mouse and keyboard issue all point out towards improper / partial upgrade method.

I recommend you to have a look at

upgrading windows xp to windows 8

This addresses the post migration issue especially with network, sound  and also mouse and keyboard. Basically you need to change the virtual machine template from windows xp to windows 8 as described in the article in general settings.

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos