VMware Communities
willabrownmd
Contributor
Contributor

Installing VMware tools in Ubuntu 9.04 desktop

I have Ubuntu 8.10 64 bit installed in a virtual (Fusion 2.0.4) and then I upgraded to Ubuntu 9.04 but I can't figure out how to install VMware tools. I have a 15" 2.93 ghz macbook pro with 4gb ram ... I have Vista 64 bit installed on Bootcamp and in virtual as well. Ubuntu seems to be working OK, but I can't install the tools, clicking on install and nothing happens. There is a CDrom icon on the desktop, Clicking on that, I can see a File called "VMwaretools-7.9.3-159196.tar.gz" but clicking on it opens a read only file??? I followed what online procedures I could find such as going in admin login and such ... but nothing has worked.

Anybody know what I can do? I know nothing about linux, or Ubuntu ... so far this has not been fun!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I know nothing about linux, or Ubuntu ... so far this has not been fun!

Well if you know nothing about what you're working with then I can see where its not going to be fun so start by reading the documentation!

VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > VMware Fusion Help > Creating Virtual Machines > VMware Tools > Installing or Upgrading VMware Tools in a Linux Virtual Machine from the Command Line with the Tar Installer

Also Ubuntu 9.04 is not supported at the present time and VMware Tools do not install completely without errors so have a look at the following to deal with that.

Ubuntu 9.04 "Jaunty Jackalope" on VMware Fusion 2

0 Kudos
cfeskens
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

On Ubuntu the VMware tools need to be extracted and compiled from the gz file. Follow the instructions at:

http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2007/10/02/how-to-install-vmware-tools-on-ubuntu-guests/

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

For those looking for an automated solution to installing VMware Tools in Ubuntu 9.04 Desktop Edition which incorporates the necessary changes that need to be made have a look at:

0 Kudos
DoctorNet
Contributor
Contributor

One more Detail (encountered it only on non-english versions of Ubuntu 9.04):

If vmware-config-tools.pl complains "Your gcc version 'gcc-Version 4.3.3 (Ubuntu 4.3.3-5ubuntu4)' is not supported", this is just a nuissance and easy to fix: vmware-config-tool.pl expects a version string of "gcc version BlahBlah" and can't deal with "gcc-Version BlahBlah" (notice the dash instead of a blank and the captial V).

Apply the attached patch to vmware-config-tools.pl and it works like a charme.

0 Kudos
mookievabch
Contributor
Contributor

Patch worked like a charm is a very acurate statement. Just wanted to say thank you! :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
c_pradelli
Contributor
Contributor

In spanish version you also need to fin the "ó" because it sais "gcc versión" so the path should be:

0 Kudos
LatinSuD
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

To avoid language issues it would be nice if script set locale to C before launching commands.

In bash something like: "LANG=C; export LANG ; gcc ..."

0 Kudos