VMware Communities
seigneurhol
Contributor
Contributor

Installing VMware Tool on VMware fusion with Linux Mint

Hello !

I have looked all over the internet on topic and VMware support and I don't find a respond  :oops:

My problem is : I want to upgrade VMware Tool because on the setting of my virtual machine it's written that I need to upgrade my VMware Tool to enable 3D acceleration.

So I click on Virtual Machine > Reinstall VMware Tool (I hope it upgrade it too) but it's doesn't work because I have to uninstall first.

I don't know how to uninstall it.

May someone could help me ? :wink:

Thanks ! ^^

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Log in as root and enter the following command in a terminal window: vmware-uninstall-tools.pl

BTW Have a look at: Uninstalling and manually installing VMware Tools in VMware Fusion (1014522)

Also not sure what you used as a search term however I found the link above using Google and: uninstall VMware Tools Linux

0 Kudos
seigneurhol
Contributor
Contributor

I have already found that command and it's doesn't work : tar install not found

I used the package manager and it worked.

But now it's say's when I boot : cinnamon is currently running without video hardware acceleration

How to make it run normally ?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

First of all even though Linux Mint is derived from Ubuntu/Debian nonetheless it is not a supported Host/Guest OS and as such there may be issues, some of which might require third party patching.

That said if vmware-uninstall-tools.pl did not work then you didn't have the VMware Fusion VMware Tools installed and because you use PM then you had Open Virtual Machine Tools installed.  Many Linux Distros include Open Virtual Machine Tools and need to be uninstalled before installing the VMware product included VMware Tools.

Anyway as far as 3D acceleration, do you have Accelerate 3D Graphics turned on in the Virtual Machine's Display Settings?

Have a look at: Enable Accelerated 3D Graphics

0 Kudos