VMware Communities
Otmf
Contributor
Contributor

Installing VMWare Tools in Fusion 2.0 causes MacBook Pro keyboard backlight to stop working

Please help!

When I install Fusion 2.0 on my new MacBook Pro, the keyboard backlight stopped working. Nothing I do can turn it on or force it to come back on. Does anybody have any idea why this might happen, and how to fix it?

I have a MacBook Pro "Late 2008" model, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB ram, 320GB Hard drive. Fusion running Windows XP.

Thanks for any help in advance!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Was it installing Fusion 2.0 or Tools in a virtual machine that you think caused this?

What if you uninstall Fusion (this won't affect your virtual machines) and reboot the Mac? Unless the backlight starts working, I'd suspect unfortunate timing. For what it's worth, the backlight on my MacBook Pro works fine, and I can't imagine anything in either Fusion or Tools that could cause this.

0 Kudos
Otmf
Contributor
Contributor

It was during the portion of installing the tools in a new virtual machine. Fusion 2.0 was installed just fine.

Twice upon installing a virtual machine with Windows XP, the backlight went off during the installation of the tools each time. The backlight stays off even if Fusion is not running in all lighting conditions. And even if I restart and do not run Fusion.

This happened twice. I did a clean install of the operating system, and the backlight turned off at about the same time in the process.

0 Kudos