VMware Communities
xchaotic
Contributor
Contributor

Installing VMWare Tools in Fedora Core 12 client

Hi.

I am struggling to install VMWare Tools for FC12. I assume that the host doesn't matter (but I am running Fusion 2 now).

I choose install VMWare Tools from the menu which mounts the iso image.

But when I run the installer, it says it can't find precompiled modules.

So I installed all the development tools in FC12 to get gcc etc and it build some of the VMWare tools successfully, but fails in the one that matters the most to me - the seamless copy/paste.

Can you point me in the right direction? I suppose Fedora/Redhat/CentOS should be raltively well supported?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

It is Fedora 12 not Fedora Core 12 and version 6 was the last Fedora Core.

Anyway Fedora is not a supported Guest OS

0 Kudos
xchaotic
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, but since there was no Fedora Core 12, is there any ambiguity for you to be nitpicking? Is that helpful in any way?

Anyway, it seems that some SELinux routines might be causing this problem - preventing some files to read and written by VMWare tools script.

For now I've enabled ssh and that's the way I paste commands to that VM, but it would be nice to have that seamless integration...

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, but since there was no Fedora Core 12, is there any ambiguity for you to be nitpicking? Is that helpful in any way?

Sorry but I don't consider it nitpicking especially when someone is looking for support I deal in facts and the fact is Core was dropped after version 6 and now 6 more version later where at Fedora 12 so get with it. Smiley Wink

Anyway, it seems that some SELinux routines might be causing this problem - preventing some files to read and written by VMWare tools script.

For now I've enabled ssh and that's the way I paste commands to that VM, but it would be nice to have that seamless integration...

If you think that SELinux is at the root of the issue then have you tried disabling SELinux and uninstall/reinstall VMware Tools and have gotten the same results?

0 Kudos