VMware Communities
vmware0109
Contributor
Contributor

Installing Solaris on a Mac - VMWARE fusion

Hi there,

The installation went fairly smoothly, but I do not seem to be able to connect to the network.

Question, how does it connect to the network. The ip info I entered in the actual installation was my MAC's info, I was thinking it would of create a vip or something. I only have one NIC, so this is the only part that is confusing. I know all the necessary system files that are needed to get a Solaris box on the network are properly filled out as far as once the virtual machine boots up and I cat the files in question.

thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Deryni
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That would depend on what networking mode you put your VM in. Bridged, or NAT?

In both cases, you shouldn't use the IP information of your host OS. In Bridged mode this would result in two computers attempting to use the same IP address, and in NAT mode, the IP address will be in the wrong subnet.

You probably want to use DHCP in either case. For NAT, VMware will assign an appropriate IP address to your VM. For Bridged, whatever DHCP server gave your host OS an IP address, that server may give your VM an IP address as well.

0 Kudos
vmware0109
Contributor
Contributor

"For NAT, VMware will assign an appropriate IP address to your VM. "

Do I have to run something for the above to happen?

I have it on NAT, what I am not understanding is how it is suppose to assign it, since it asked me to input the info for the server's network configs during installation. Currently I have the IP of my host machine in the /etc/host, and the gateway and subnet mask are set accordingly, do I have to make modifications to these files?

Sorry for the bonehead questions, but this is my very first time attempting this.

0 Kudos
Deryni
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You need to read the appropriate documentation from Sun to figure out how to configure your VM to use DHCP for its IP configuration. VMware will have already set up the DHCP Server to hand out the appropriate configuration.

0 Kudos
vmware0109
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you,

your last posting was just enough to get hamsters spinning in my head.

I have got it to work.

thanks

0 Kudos