VMware Communities
Husky86
Contributor
Contributor

Installing Fusion on new iMac

Just got a new iMac — first time in many years I've upgraded my system.

Two questions:

First, I'm assuming I must uninstall Fusion 8.1 from the old iMac before I can install and use on the new iMac? (License key will only work with one working version of Fusion at a time, in other words?)

Secondly, on the old iMac I'm currently running Windows 10 within Fusion. When I initially installed Fusion 5 or 6 (I cannot remember since it's been so long) I installed it with Windows 7 (which had just been released) from a CD-ROM.

Again, since it's been so long, what is the process of installing Windows 10 (which I fully realize is free) as part of the new virtual machine once I get Fusion 8.1 up and running?

In other words, since I don't have any CD-ROM I can insert during the process of setting up a new virtual machine — the new iMac doesn't even come with a CD-ROM drive — I'm a little unfamiliar as to how I'm supposed to get Windows 10, i.e. does Fusion allow the download of Windows 10 as a part of initially setting up the new virtual machine?

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
ChipMcK
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The old iMac has a CD/DVD drive.

On the new iMac in the Finder is listed Remote Disc. The CD/DVD drive on the old Mac may be that remote.

SysPrefs --> Sharing -----> CD or DVD Sharing needs to be checked on the old machine.

Mount the CD/DVD on the old Mac  and  on new machine use Disk Utility to create a .cdr image of the Windows disc.

Rename the .cdr to .iso and use that .iso with VMware Fusion (which will accept the .cdr  without renaming)

Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there 😃

First answer: Incorrect, you can use Fusion on all the macs you personally own, at the same time, with a single license.

Second answer: Just download the .iso for Windows 10 and install it that way.  It should sync up with Microsoft online and self-activate with your MS account.

You might need to do deactivate the old one in your licensing portal of Microsoft's website.

If you're unsure how to install from a .iso file, there's a video in the Fusion Learning Center that shows you exactly how. Just click Help > Video Tutorials, there's one for 'Installing Windows 10' which goes through the ISO install process.

Link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10ISO

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

This isn't what the user asked for tho, they want to install Windows 10, of which the .iso file can be downloaded directly from Microsoft.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF