VMware Communities
RalfRottmann
Contributor
Contributor

Installing FreeBSD 10 on Mac VMWare Fusion 6 with ZFS fails / stuck at 33% Extracting distribution files...

I'm trying to install FreeBSD 10 from the FreeBSD-10.0-RELEASE-i386-dvd1.iso via VMWare Fusion 6 for Mac OS X. The VM is configured to have 20 GB disk and 4 GB of memory. I want to test drive the ZFS boot volume. I'm not choosing any Raid configuration.

Unfortunately, the installation process gets stuck at extracting portx.txz, mostly at 33%, sometimes below sometimes above but never finished.

Any idea?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Did you validate the MD5/SHA256 Checksum of the FreeBSD-10.0-RELEASE-i386-dvd1.iso file you download against its published value(s) before starting the install?

0 Kudos
RalfRottmann
Contributor
Contributor

Yes. And the exact same iso works fine if I don't choose ZSF as the file system.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I did a little searching on Google and based on what I read I really do not see this as a VMware Fusion issue per se.

One reoccurring issue was not adequate free space during the install.

In earlier releases there was corruption in the ports.txz however since it installs for you when not using ZFS I doubt that's the issue here.

One suggestion was not to install ports.txz during the initial install and then install if afterwards using info in: Chapter 5. Installing Applications: Packages and Ports

None of what I read was specific to the 10.0 release.

If you can't get if figured out then I'll consider downloading the ISO however I really do not want to waste 2.1 GB of bandwidth as I have no need for the ISO otherwise.

0 Kudos