VMware Communities
chipgeorge
Contributor
Contributor

Installing DOS 6.22

Hello. I am trying to install DOS 6.2 on to my MBP as a VM in fusion. The installation process starts smoothly, but half way throgh DOS asks me to insert Setup Disk #1 to my E drive (my super drive). My Dos installation disk is already inseted. I even reburned the DOS install disk, Calling it "setup disk #1". I then though that DOS might be looking for a Floppy Disk. I was able to find a virtual floppy disk. Again, the insatller recognizes this floppy, but I can not get much past that. I know I am close. I there a document about installing DOS using Fusion? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

You cannot install DOS 6.22 from CD-ROM. You must use Floppy Disk Images and a Virtual Floppy added to the Virtual Machine. If you have physical floppy diskettes you will need to create virtual floppy disk images which would mean on a Mac you'd have to plug in an External USB Floppy and then use dd or maybe Disk Utility. I forget whether Disk Utility can do it but I know dd can do it.

Have a look at: VMware Fusion menu > Help > VMware Fusion Help > Managing Virtual Machines > Configuring a Floppy Device

0 Kudos
jasonh1234
Contributor
Contributor

I have a USB external floppy (which apparantly cannot be used to install from) and I have tried creating an unecrypted, uncompressed, read/write disk image (renamed to flp) and used as a device for the VM.

Nothing works. The vm just hangs upon starting.

I've tried DOS 6 and 6.2and am using VMWare Fusion 2.0

suggestions?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Well you didn't say how you were creating the floppy image however I will say that I have no problem creating a floppy disk image of a floppy in a USB Floppy Drive attached to my MBP using dd or Disk Utility.

In a Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal) the following command syntax works.

dd if=/dev/BSD_Name_USB_Floppy_Drive of=Floppy_Disk_Name.img

Example: In System Profiler the BSD Name of the USB Floppy Drive connected to my MBP at the moment is named "disk3" and using a DOS 6.22 Setup Disk 1 I used the following command.

MacBookPro:~ WKZ$ dd if=/dev/disk3 of=DOS_622_Setup_Disk_1.img

2880+0 records in

2880+0 records out

1474560 bytes transferred in 112.648263 secs (13090 bytes/sec)

MacBookPro:~ WKZ$

I then assigned DOS_622_Setup_Disk_1.img to the Floppy in the target Virtual Machine's Settings and it booted just fine and started the DOS 6.22 Setup.

If you want to use Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility) you need to set the Image Format to DVD/CD master and Encryption to none.

0 Kudos