VMware Communities
DougSteiert
Contributor
Contributor

Installing Boot Camp Drivers

So I recently bought Fusion 5x and I'm trying to get my Apple Superdrive to configure with the windows, but I'm having some issues. I have looked up many things and have gone to downloading the Apple Support Software from Boot Camp Assistant onto a USB, then connecting the USB to Windows and trying to download. However, whenever I try to do the setup.exe, it says that it was not made for "this model". Also, when I tried singling out the Apple NullDriver (which I just assumed would be the Superdrive) it also didn't work. How am I suppose to get my Superdrive to connect and be compatible with the Windows so I can insert disks and have them pulled up? Please help.

-Doug S.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
avanish321
Expert
Expert

If you have downloaded bootcamp from bootcamp assistant i believe its only for windows 7. .

In any case instead of installing entire drivers by running setup.exe try to run appleoddinstaller.exe present under apple/drivers/ or apple /driver/x64 depending on your os .

Note: the path may be different cos i dont remember exact path . Look for appleoddinstaller.exe file.

Cheers! Avanish
SvenGus
Expert
Expert

Strange, because the Boot Camp Assistant should automatically download the right version of the drivers for your machine.

Anyway, one can also download them manually, if necessary - see, for example, here:

http://www.cafe-encounter.net/p824/bootcamp-drivers-direct-download-of-bootcampesd-pkg

Not sure that this solves your problem, but you could maybe try...

SvenGus
Expert
Expert

... But they should work, at least for the most part, also for Windows 8.

0 Kudos
DougSteiert
Contributor
Contributor

Ahh thanks so much! I just assumed it would be Null Driver, but it was indeed ODDIntaller. Also, thanks for the link, Sven; now I know where to go if I need anything else installed.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

You shouldn't need any drivers installed in the windows VM to use a USB CD/DVD drive at all.  Fusion should handle all that by virtualizing the Mac hardware and presenting a generic device to the VM.

0 Kudos