VMware Communities
alokrajiva
Contributor
Contributor

Installation with XP snag on MacBook Pro

Yo Geek-Genuis out there. Please help. I just bought a OEM Windows XP and it came in two disks with XP Pro on one and Service Pack 2 on the other. First I tried to install with boot camp and wouldn't work. Second disk would not install. Apple Care said OH Well, you need to have it all on one disk to work,.... so I didn't like the complication of boot camp windows installation much anyway and ordered VMware Fusion to try another install (it's not arrived yet). Does anyone know if this two disk snag with boot camp is still a problem when installing windows with Fusion. Please advise. Most grateful in advance.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BP9906
Expert
Expert

If it was me, I wouldnt bother with your SP2 disk 2. Just install XP Pro and do Windows Update to update to SP2. SP3 is right around the corner for XP too.

Not sure why your OEM XP disk isnt working. It should work fine, but OEM copies are a bit different and can have snags in setup.

Silica_V
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I think OEM installer disks are not supported by Fusion.

Regards, Vijaykumar B.
0 Kudos
MandarMS
Expert
Expert

I suggest retail licenses of windows, Hence there is a possibility that

the OEM disk may run fine or might fail under various unpredictable

conditions.

matthewls
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I seem to remember that boot camp needs XP sp2 to install.

If you search for "slipstreaming xp SP2" you'll find instructions for creating the xp-sp2 installation disk.

I used magiciso to do this, and it works great. You can get even fancier and include the RC of SP3, or include hotfixes. Google will show the way.

0 Kudos