VMware Communities
russ930
Contributor
Contributor

Installation problem

I am having a problem when entering the key code for XP. During the install of VMware Fusion I am asked for the key code which I enter.

When I get to the stage of the install where XP is being loaded I am asked for the key code again, however this time I am told I am

entering the wrong key code. Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
18 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Hi there, I've moved your post to the VMware Fusion forum. It sounds like the XP install is asking for a Windows install key. This will be different from the key for your Fusion install and the key will depend on the type of XP license you have (retail, volume license, etc).

Dave Mishchenko

VMware Communities User Moderator

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I am having a problem when entering the key code for XP. During the install of VMware Fusion I am asked for the key code which I enter. When I get to the stage of the install where XP is being loaded I am asked for the key code again, however this time I am told I am entering the wrong key code. Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

When you install VMware Fusion you are prompted to enter a 20 Digit Alpha-Numeric Serial Number in the form of XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

When you install Microsoft Windows XP you are prompted to enter a 25 Digit Alpha-Numeric Product Key in the form of XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

The VMware Fusion Serial Number and the Microsoft Windows Product Key are not interchangeable! You need to input the correct alpha-numeric string in the appropriate field!

0 Kudos
russ930
Contributor
Contributor

I am entering the code right off the XP CD jacket.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Dumb question perhaps does the jacket match the media? I have hundreds of product CDs which don't always match. If you have multiple XP copies I'm sure you're aware the Home keys don't match Pro, or vice-verse, nor do upgrade/full versions, nor do OEM or Volume keys match the retail editions.

0 Kudos
russ930
Contributor
Contributor

This CD came with my PC. I opened it for the 1st time to use with the VMware Fusion

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Ok - thanks. Some Windows OEM installation CDs are BIOS-locked to that manufacturer's logic boards, e.g. some Dells work this way. They will not accept the OEM product ID on other systems like in Fusion. The "proof" is to attempt to install back on the matching hardware and it accepts the key. Sounds ridiculous, I know, but it is true in some cases. Blame Microsoft enforcement tactics. You can also reproduce this in Boot Camp or Parallels if you think this is bogus information.

To get around this installation check, you can use the free edition of VMware Converter to migrate an already installed copy off your PC. When you boot this copy up in Fusion the first time, it will want to be activated. You will have to call Microsoft and answer some questions about the installation but they will give you the activation code. This last part is unavoidable.

edit: left out a possible solution.

0 Kudos
russ930
Contributor
Contributor

This is from Dell so this may be the problem. What would a work around be? Also during the install VM ask for the product key. (I assume this is the product key for VM) However the VM serial number is only 20 alpha/num long and the program is looking for 25.

Any idea why?

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

See the possible solution I've added above using Converter.

Please don't confuse the VMware Fusion OS X program with the guest operating system (Windows XP), you need a license key for each product. The VMware Fusion license key is entered in the VMware Fusion menu under Licensing.... The Windows license key is prompted by the virtual machine console window like it would on a physical PC. Just like most commercial programs ask for a license key, so does the Windows installation. This entering process is completely separate from the Fusion license key. You must have a valid Fusion license key to power on a virtual machine and you must have a valid Windows license key to install Windows. If Windows does NOT accept your license keys (as in your case) that is a Microsoft and Dell issue having nothing to do with VMware. I hope this is clear.

0 Kudos
russ930
Contributor
Contributor

The Fusion code is on the CD jacket that the Fusion software came in, correct? This code is 20 spaces long. When I go to the virtual machine library and click new

it takes me though a few pages and then ask for the code. If I enter the xp code it allows me to continue. Later in the process is will ask for the windows xp code

and tell me I can find it printed on the jacket that XP came in. It is at this point that I get rejected. I now understand the whole Dell problem however is the software

asking me for the same code twice?

0 Kudos
russ930
Contributor
Contributor

I just downloaded the VM ware converter. This is a exe file. If Fusion is not yet working how do I install this program?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I am entering the code right off the XP CD jacket.

Ahhh... One peice of the puzzle you omitted in the first place... which is just one of the many reasons it states plainly and clearly on the Fusion Forum's main page... "If you want to ask a question, read first."

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

The Fusion code is on the CD jacket that the Fusion software came in, correct? This code is 20 spaces long. When I go to the virtual machine library and click new

it takes me though a few pages and then ask for the code. If I enter the xp code it allows me to continue. Later in the process is will ask for the windows xp code

and tell me I can find it printed on the jacket that XP came in. It is at this point that I get rejected. I now understand the whole Dell problem however is the software

asking me for the same code twice?

The reason your being asked for it during the install is whatever you inputted during the New Virtual Machine Assistant wizard was not a valid Product Key.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I just downloaded the VM ware converter. This is a exe file. If Fusion is not yet working how do I install this program?

You should try reading the directions for using VMware Converter! The EXE is a Windows Executable which means you download it onto the Physical Windows Machine your trying to convert. BTW if it's a Dell then it will probably fail at some point in the process when it determines you not running the Dell OEM Microsoft Windows on genuine Dell hardware. However YMMV.

Edit:

BTW even if VMware Converter works and your prompted to re-activate you are not entitled to use Dell OEM on any other system then the one it came on. Dell OEM EULA binds that copy of Windows to the system it was original installed on.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Ok, I see the source of miscommunication. The new machine wizard has a helpful feature called "Windows Easy Install" that attempts to fully automate the installation of Windows. When VMware asks for the license key, it can not verify it, because that is something only Windows can do. VMware does know the length so that much is checked. The key you enter is put into an automation script. When Windows finally does validate it, it fails. It fails for the reasons we talked about above, i.e not running on a Dell machine. There is nothing VMware can do at this point to help you past this technical barrier.

Please take some time to read the VMware Converter documentation. You must install the Converter program on your physical Dell machine, not on your Mac or in Fusion. The high-level summary is install Converter on your Dell, export that Dell installation using Converter onto for example an external PC-formatted USB drive. After Converter runs, the USB drive will contain a VMware virtual machine. You do not need to repeat the New Machine wizard. When you connect the USB drive to your Mac, you can double-click the converted machine configuration file with the ".vmx" extension for example: My Dell.vmx. This will start up your extracted Dell machine in a Fusion virtual machine like magic. Then you will prompted for activation, this is where you must call Microsoft again. After you activate this virtual machine, you may want to copy the converted machine to your MacBook Pro in the Documents > Virtual Machines folder so it is in the place you will be using it. Your USB drive is your activated backup. You back up, right?

edit: Apologies for the duplicates. Twice the help is not too bad. Thank you.

0 Kudos
russ930
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I will give that a try

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

As part of your research, please be aware of the licensing issues. Installing your Dell copy in Fusion generally means you can not legally run that copy on the Dell anymore. And there may be transfer restrictions and no support available from Microsoft because Dell would be responsible. If Microsoft activates your Dell copy in Fusion, i.e. by answering their questions truthfully, you have some standing but the way these agreements are written they favor the vendors not the consumer. This is one reason many users end up buying retail copies of Windows with more "privileges" and not coincidentally more cost.

0 Kudos
russ930
Contributor
Contributor

I no longer use my PC so I think I am ok. As a side issue, how do you remove virtual systems that have been added using Fusion?

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

That's covered in the online help under Help > VMware Fusion help > Search > delete > Deleting a virtual machine. Many useful topics are in the online help.

0 Kudos