VMware Communities
cbum
Contributor
Contributor

Installation Failure: No bootable device was detected

I've just created a support request, but no response yet:

Product = VMware Fusion 1.0(For Mac OS X)

Severity of Support Request = 1

Description of Support Request = During the initial easy install of Fusion 1.0 (no prior installs) on a MacPro dualQuad running X.4.10, using a working WXP-SP2 install disk (worked fine on a Parallels install on another Mac), I get a dialog box telling me

"No bootable device was detected ...

./. Restart the VM by clicking the Reset button.

// As aside, there IS NO reset button visible at that point!

The text inside the window is the following:

Network boot from Am79C970A

Copyright ... VMware

Copyright ... Intel

CLIENT MAC ADDR: xxxxxx GUID: xxxxxx

PXE-E53: No boot filename received

PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.

Operating System not found.

\* * *

I've read to knowlegebase entry suggesting setting the CD/DVD to 1 manually instead of auto detect, no change. Note this MacPro has 2 removable drives: a standard superdrive & a panasonic bluray drive.

After manually changing from CD1 to CD0 and resetting a few times, and connecting and disconnecting the CD a few times, the XP install suddenly started, apparently normally. After a few minutes, I got kicked out again, this time telling me there was no Hardrive present (!).

Now I'm stuck with the VM showing a black screen with one "-" cursor-like character in the top left corner (not blinking), and nothing further happens...

Where do I go from here?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
bflad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Usually when it comes to Fusion not recognizing a CD for install, the fix has been to simply swap which drive the CD is in. Also, ISO files are a solution.

I got the same '-' screen when booting a VM after changing from 1 processor to 2 processors (before an OS was installed). Just wondering if you had also made this setting change to cause that. I created a new VM with 2 processors before it started up the first time and it worked fine afterwards.

Hope this helps,

Brian

0 Kudos
cbum
Contributor
Contributor

You mean physically swap the CD, rather than change the setting as suggested in the KB?

Not sure what you mean with ISO files. Create a virtual disc from the install CD?

Re: "-", no, I did not change processor settings from the default.

Should I delete the current VM? If so, how?

0 Kudos
bflad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Deleting VM's is done by going to your ~/Documents/Virtual Machines folder (that's the default location) and deleting the VM file there. Everything is self-contained in those files (which means that you could even move VM's from there if necessary).

And yes, a solution was physically swapping which drive the actual CD was in. May or may not work for you but hey, its worth a shot.

As for ISO files, basically they are a copy of the entire CD, saved on your hard disk (so yes a virtual disk). This can be easily done on the Mac through Utilities > Disk Utility. Just another thought that might help...

Brian

cbum
Contributor
Contributor

OK, I deleted the VM and reinstalled - note that the provided serial number was demanded again - and when entered, it was no longer working. By dumb luck I stumbled on a reference to a hashed version only visible on the website, which worked - way to go putting one's customer's interests before one's company paranoia...

I swapped to CD to the bluray drive, and this time the install worked, even with automatic CD detection mode.

Worked up to a point, I should say, because now I'm getting a message the the Window Installer service could not be accessed... this appears to also prevent me from installing the VMWare tools... now what?

Man, the parallels install was a lot smoother Smiley Sad

And tech support is apparently email only, making this install like breathing through a straw!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

OK, I deleted the VM and reinstalled - note that the

provided serial number was demanded again

Which serial number, Fusion or Windows?

By dumb luck I

stumbled on a reference to a hashed version only

visible on the website, which worked

Can you be more specific about what you did?

Worked up to a point, I should say, because now I'm

getting a message the the Window Installer service

could not be accessed...

Is this the exact text of the error message? How far in the installation is it?

0 Kudos
cbum
Contributor
Contributor

The Fusion SN.

I found it in the listing of serial numbers on the VMWare fusion website, which was the same as in the original confirmation email, and did NOT work when entered at the start of a new VM installation.

I just happen to notice a serial number below it identified as hashed version, which I tried and thaat was accepted.

Nowhere in the docs do I see any of this mentioned. Please enlighten me if you can.

Yes, that is the exact message, followed by some explanations why this message is coming up. like safe mode etc, and telling me to contact my administrator (!).

How can I tell how far the installation is complete? I don't know enough about XP to tell what if anything is missing.

Right now I am looking at the XP welcome screen asking me what I want to do, eg:

Install XP :smileyalert:

learn more

install optional components

perform additional tasks

check system compatibility

?

Still waiting for tech support email turnaround.

to be dealing with this kind of installation hassle by EMAIL is completely ridiculous.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The Fusion SN.

Odd, I don't think we shouldn't ask for that unless you reinstalled Fusion.

I found it in the listing of serial numbers on the

VMWare fusion website, which was the same as in the

original confirmation email, and did NOT work when

entered at the start of a new VM installation.

I just happen to notice a serial number below it

identified as hashed version, which I tried and thaat

was accepted.

Nowhere in the docs do I see any of this mentioned.

Please enlighten me if you can.

I'm still not sure what you're taking about. URL?

How can I tell how far the installation is complete?

I don't know enough about XP to tell what if anything

is missing.

I was asking what's happened so far in the installation - did it finish copying files over, did it ask you for date/time, did it reboot, etc. A screenshot might help.

0 Kudos
cbum
Contributor
Contributor

The URL where I found my serial# is http://www.vmware.com/vmwarestore/newstore/account.jsp

I did not reinstall fusion, but I did delete the XP VM as suggested by tech support and others.

As to the installation- it seemed to finish copying files, but then told me the Windows installer service could not be accessed.

It did not ask for date/time.

When I ok'ed out of the dialog, nothing further happened -I did a restart, and i'm looking at what appears a normal XP desktop. But when I try to install the VM tools, I get the same dialog about the W Installer service...

0 Kudos
eknauft
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

> Yes, that is the exact message, followed by some explanations why this

message is coming up. like safe mode etc, and telling me to contact my

administrator (!).

You said the message mentioned "safe mode." It's quite likely that you cannot install VMware tools if you've booted into safe mode. Try rebooting the virtual machine. If there is a screen during boot asking if you'd like to start safe mode or just boot normally, pick "just boot normally."

0 Kudos