VMware Communities
neivd
Contributor
Contributor

Installation Error Message

I already partitioned my drive and installed windows using Bootcamp (in Leopard), but after I installed vmware and tried to run the bootcamp partition for the 1st time, I got this error message.

Cannot open the disk '/Users/neivd/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp/%2Fdev%2Fdisk0/Boot Camp partition.vmwarevm/Boot Camp partition.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.

Reason: The partition table on the physical disk has changed since the disk was created. Remove the physical disk from the virtual machine, then add it again.

Any suggestions on how to fix this.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MPM01
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Deleting the Boot camp metadata for VMware Fusion and reinitialize the boot camp partition in VMware Fusion might help in resolving the reported issue.you can Delete meta data by below steps 1. Shut Down Boot Camp Virtual Machine

2. Quit VMware Fusion Application

3. Go to home folder (Hard Drive/Users/User Name)

4. Go to /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp

5. Delete Boot Camp folder

6. Restart the Mac system

7. Launch VMware Fusion and check

0 Kudos
neivd
Contributor
Contributor

That solution worked perfectly.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
kcgil
Contributor
Contributor

I had a similar problem that probably started because I deleted my original bootcamp partition and then recreated to 32 GB (still FAT32).

I started Fusion and it returned an error that it could not start windows because it was not bootable. Yet is was bootable directly in Bootcamp.

I uninstalled Fusion and then reinstalled - started Fusion and got a Virtual machine kernel stack fault ....'. I Shutdown Fusion and restarted and got the error - "The CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system.... you will need to power off of or reset the virtual machine at this point" . I did this and then would show VMware starting and then go to a black screen.

I followed MPM01- November 23, '07 post on 'Installation Error Message'

It worked perfectly

Thank you MPM01

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Anytime you redo the Boot Camp partition you should follow the steps above.

0 Kudos
Tiki
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, Had the same issue on my machine. Did this...

Run Disk Utility, attempt to repair the Windows Partition.

It came up with something like "Disk Cannot be dismounted, in use"

Discovered it was my ClamAV Sentry, was watching the Boot Camp partition like I asked it too.

So my advice is to check for any Applications that might be trying to use your Boot Camp partition, antivirus programs, file sharing etc. Fixed my issue.

0 Kudos