VMware Communities
alexandre_van_d
Contributor
Contributor

Instal VMware tools on the OLPC image

Hello, I am using a intel iMac with vmware beta, and downloaded the OLPC (one laptop per child, the project that makes the Nicholas Negroponte $100 dollars laptop) disk image.

The image is running fine but I decided to try to install vmware tools and nothing happnes. I read on the forum that it appears as a virtual CD-Rom, but the laptop has no cd-rom so I cannot figure out how to navigate till there.

Anyone had this issue?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DannyD
Contributor
Contributor

The VMware tools are located at /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/isoimages

-rrr-- 1 root wheel 10878976 Dec 19 03:19 freebsd.iso

-rrr-- 1 root wheel 256 Dec 19 03:19 freebsd.iso.sig

-rrr-- 1 root wheel 80379904 Dec 19 03:19 linux.iso

-rrr-- 1 root wheel 256 Dec 19 03:19 linux.iso.sig

-rrr-- 1 root wheel 262144 Dec 19 03:19 netware.iso

-rrr-- 1 root wheel 256 Dec 19 03:19 netware.iso.sig

-rrr-- 1 root wheel 2064384 Dec 19 03:19 solaris.iso

-rrr-- 1 root wheel 256 Dec 19 03:19 solaris.iso.sig

-rrr-- 1 root wheel 451 Dec 19 03:19 tools-key.pub

-rrr-- 1 root wheel 22872064 Dec 19 03:19 windows.iso

-rrr-- 1 root wheel 256 Dec 19 03:19 windows.iso.sig

rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

The VMware Tools are provided for a limited set of supported operating systems, e.g specific Linux distributions. I'm sure OLPC isn't one of the supported distributions. Smiley Sad Yes, VMware tools are ordinarily installed as part of virtual CD ISO image file that would be attached to your virtual machine.

Given the design contraints of OLPC, it's highly likely you would need whatever the OLPC development environment[/i] is that produces the OS image which then goes on the hardware. In that environment you could compile the VMware Tools into the image beforehand.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

I started to go down the route of describing where the Tools lived, how to copy them onto a network location, etc. But what's the point? Do you think OLPC has all the necessary tools to install/compile the VMware Linux tools?

0 Kudos
DannyD
Contributor
Contributor

This distribution isn't a support os for Fusion. As pointed out by rcardona2k even if it is a linux distro the tools will need to be compiled etc.. and there is no guarantee they will work.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

As described at CES, OLPC is based on a Fedora Core 6 foundation, so it may be fully possible to build the VMware Tools in an FC6 VM and transplant them to OLPC. As they say in school, the exercise is left to the reader. I just though I'd pass the information along. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos