VMware Communities
kpollard57
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Initial Setup with Boot Camp or not?

I am brand new to the Mac world and have a new MacBook Pro 2.53 with 4GB. I still need to run windows aps so I will be using VMware. My question is, is it better to setup a Boot Camp partition first, then let VMware use this, or should I skip the Boot Camp install and just use VMware. I'm not sure if I will need to boot into native XP via Boot Camp, but have no experience so I would like to hear your input.

Regards,

Ken

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have a look at:

0 Kudos
JoelG
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was new to the Mac until a couple of years ago when I purchased a Mini for a family room TV. I wanted to use XP also, so I installed it in a boot camp partition.

Since that time, OS X has been upgraded to Leopard, boot camp is out of beta, and Fusion has became a mature easy to use virtualization product for the average user. I installed Fusion using the boot camp partition for Windows, and found that I never needed to boot directly to Windows. Now that Netflix is Mac compatible I seldom even use WIndows on this machine.

When Windows 7 Beta, came out I wanted to try it on my mac, and I tried my first VM. It installed easily with no hiccups. In fact, it's the easiest OS installation I have ever made going back to the days of DR DOS. It worked so well that I made an XP VM from my bootcamp based VM. A comparison of XP operation with both VM's reveals no significant difference.

I am not a Mac or Fusion expert, but my advice would be to forget about boot camp, and make a XP VM. You can make a boot camp partition later if you feel it's necessary.

0 Kudos
kpollard57
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, that is the exact type of advice I was after, straight Fusion install it is.

0 Kudos