VMware Communities
Dr_Dave
Contributor
Contributor

Initial Setup on Mac Pro

I have installed the Fusion beta on my Mac Pro (4GB memory) and tried to creat a new VM. I inserted the Microsoft XP CD in the CD drive, but nothing happens. Am I supposed to be doing something else?

Thank you

0 Kudos
14 Replies
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

I recommend ripping your XP media to an ISO file (.cdr extension on a Mac) and attaching the ISO file as a virtual CD to your VM. This greatly eliminates any media contention and makes the installation process much faster than reading from a physical disc. You can use Apple's Disk Utility to make the ISO file.

0 Kudos
Dr_Dave
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the suggestion....

I created the CDR from the Windows boot disk and attached that CDR in the VM setup. When it begins installing the VM, it gets down to the "Client MAC ADDR" and after some time, gives me an "No bootable device was detected" error message.

Any other ideas?

David

0 Kudos
JJacques94
Contributor
Contributor

Them for me!

Mac Pro with 2 Go ram.

Always the "No bootable device was detected" error message, with CD or ISO file. (This CD works fine in Parallels...)

Other ideas?

Jean-Jacques

0 Kudos
Bob_Zimmerman
Expert
Expert

When setting up my Win2k VM, I just created the machine, moved it around on my host drive to get it where I wanted to keep it, booted, then[/i] put in the physical CD. I've found that if you insert it while a VM is running, VMware grabs it.

It may take a reboot to get it to check for CDs again, but that's always worked for me.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

on the first boot of the vm it will default to boot from cd for the first power on after that time you will need to change the boot order from the bios or hit the esc key while the vm is posting the bios so you can tell it to boot from cd.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

I would definitely go with hitting ESC to bring up a bootup order menu and choosing CD.

0 Kudos
JJacques94
Contributor
Contributor

I try to go with hitting ESC or F2, but the key are not responding during the startup! Every key I press generates a beep and no input is passed to the VM

(Mac Pro running Mac OS X 10.4.8, USB keyboard)

Message was edited by:

JJacques94

Message was edited by:

JJacques94

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

I have not experienced the keyboard beeping problem but I'm just checking that the input is grabbed in the window before you press Esc or F2. Does the status bar in the window say "To return to your computer, press Ctrl-Cmd"?

0 Kudos
JJacques94
Contributor
Contributor

I have not experienced the keyboard beeping problem

but I'm just checking that the input is grabbed in

the window before you press Esc or F2. Does the

status bar in the window say "To return to your

computer, press Ctrl-Cmd"?

No, the status bar is "To direct input to this virtual machine, click inside the window", and the click is not responding!

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Have you looked at this thread to resolve your keyboard input grab issue?

Cannot attach keyboard to VM

0 Kudos
JJacques94
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, I have removed my Wacom tablet, and now I have F2 and ESC responding! I changed the boot order to start from CD-ROM, but no change. There is never access to the drive.

I looked in file vmware.log and I found something curious in connection with the CD-ROM drives, indeed I have two of them installed and it is perhaps there that is the problem. Drive 0 is a DVR-111 and drive 1 is a DVR-108. However in file vmware.log the cdrom0 (ide1: 0) is “PIONEER” “DVD-RW DVR-108”!...

I put the XP CD in this drive, but there is an error : "Failed to connect to device 'cdrom0': The media is still mounted."

Message was edited by:

JJacques94

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

What about connecting the ISO to the VM and using ESC to boot from it?

0 Kudos
Dr_Dave
Contributor
Contributor

Tried that too.

However, I DID finally get it working, but not with XP. Instead, I created an image of my Vista 64-bit version and attached the image to the VM -- worked first time.

Thank you for you help.

What I did notice when trying to ESC and then select a boot device, is that eventhough the menu appeared after pressing ESC, no matter what I selected, it APPEARS that "boot from network" was used.

Take care and thanks again.

0 Kudos
JJacques94
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, after a lot of tests, I insert the CD in the right drive (DVR-108 for me) during[/i] VM boot, and finaly VMware grabs it!

I try also to connect the ISO and this time that works!

Thank for your help!

You have to resolve the bad ID when there is more than one drive in the ATA bus of a Mac Pro. And also the problem with tablet's use.

Message was edited by:

JJacques94

0 Kudos