VMware Communities
jjohnson985
Contributor
Contributor

Increased Hard Disk Size - Cannot Find or Install VM Tools

I increased the Hard Disk Size yesterday and now have all sorts of issues:

1) Missing Base Device Driver

2) VM Tools are missing

3) Lost all the desktop files that were there before the drive size was increased

Can some one please help me? 

Where can I download VMTools for Leopard?

Where do I find the missing base device driver?

Thanks.

j

0 Kudos
16 Replies
jjohnson985
Contributor
Contributor

which version of VMTools do I use for Leopard and XP?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

What version and build number of VMware Fusion are you using?

If you installed VMware Fusion from CD then VMware Tools should have been installed however if you downloaded the Installer from VMware's web site you can download the installer with/without the VMware Tools.  I've always downloaded and installed the one with VMware Tools included however I was under the impression that if one download and installed the one without then when needed it would automatically download the required VMware Tools for that Guest OS.  (Can't say absolutely for sure since I only install the full package all the time.)

0 Kudos
jjohnson985
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Woody.  Fusion 4.1

Tools are not part of the download.  I have spent countless hours yesterday and today, trying to figure out how to install them, without success.

I am also puzzled why all of my VM Machine files disappeared when I increased the hard disk size. 

Any help is greatly appreciated.  I have tried almost everone of the Knowledgebase articles without success as well.

j

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Fusion 4.1

This is why I also ask for the build number because there really is no 4.1 as it is either 4.1.0 or 4.1.1! Smiley Wink

Anyway I'm not at my system that has 4.1.1 installed so I can't check the GUI a the moment however the following links are where VMware Fusion 4.1.0/4.1.1 downloads the VMware Tools files from.

http://softwareupdate.vmware.com/cds/vmw-desktop/fusion/4.1.0/529802/packages/

http://softwareupdate.vmware.com/cds/vmw-desktop/fusion/4.1.1/536016/packages/

Select the target "com.vmware.fusion.tools.${OS}.zip.tar" file, download it, untar and unzip it and then place the "*.iso" and "*.iso.sig" files in the "/Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/isoimages" folder.  Then you should be able to select Install VMware Tools normally from the Virtual Machine menu.  If not you cam always manually assign the "*.iso" VMware Tools file to the CD/DVD and manually install in the target OS just like installing any other software from CD/DVD.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

jjohnson985 wrote: which version of VMTools do I use for Leopard

When you say "Leopard" I hope you're refering to Mac OS X 10.5 Server because if not then, the only Client version of Mac OS X supported under VMware Fusion 4 is Mac OS X Lion and is currently the only Client version of OS X that can be legally virtualized.   The Server versions of Leopard, Snow Leopard and Lion are supported and can be legally virtualized under VMware Fusion. Virtualizing the Client versions of Snow Leopard, Leopard and Tiger is illegal and not supported nor can it be discussed in these Forums.

0 Kudos
jjohnson985
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, I am new at this, so bear with me please.

VMWare Fusion Build Version:

Version 4.1.1 (536016)

Operating System:  Lion

Windows XP

Appreciate the Suggestions and any assistance.

0 Kudos
jjohnson985
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Woody.  I downloaded the ISO image per your instructions. However I am unable to manually assign the ISO.

Can you suggest what or how to do that?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

VMWare Fusion Build Version:

Version 4.1.1 (536016)

Operating System:  Lion

Windows XP

Appreciate the Suggestions and any assistance.

For a Windows XP Virtual Machine running under VMware Fusion 4.1.1 if Fusion will not download the VMware Tools for Windows automatically then download the following file, com.vmware.fusion.tools.windows.zip.tar, and double-click it to untar it and then in the "com.vmware.fusion.tools.windows.zip" folder created by untaring it then double-click the "com.vmware.fusion.tools.windows.zip" file and then in the folder it creates "com.vmware.fusion.tools.windows/payload" copy the "windows.iso" and "windows.iso.sig" files to the "/Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/isoimages" folder.  Then you should be able to select Install VMware Tools normally from the Virtual Machine menu.  If not you can always manually assign the "windows.iso" VMware Tools file to the CD/DVD and manually install in the Windows OS just like installing any other software from CD/DVD.

0 Kudos
jjohnson985
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.  However for some reason the CD/DVD is still not being recognized by the Virtual Machine.  Any thoughts or suggestions?

I am only seeing an A: and C: Drive for My Computer in XP...

Thanks.

0 Kudos
jjohnson985
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Woody.  Appreciate the help on this, but the CD/DVD drive isn't being recognized in the Virtual Machine.

Thoughts?  I have it pointed at the right image, but it isn't allowing the Tools to install.

j

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

but the CD/DVD drive isn't being recognized in the Virtual Machine.

Is the CD/DVD connected to the Virtual Machine in the Virtual Machine's Settings?

Also consider the following...  To help figure out what is what the best way to provide comprehensive diagnostic information is to use the "Collect Support Information" command from the VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Collect Support Information and then attach the .tgz file it created on your Desktop to a reply post.

0 Kudos
jjohnson985
Contributor
Contributor

You are quite helpful and it is appreciated.  See the attached screenshot....

I will post the support details when it finishes.

Thanks.

j

0 Kudos
jjohnson985
Contributor
Contributor

.tgz file is also now attached.

0 Kudos
jjohnson985
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for all your help Woody.  VMTools are now installed.

Still working through a few minor issues.  last issue is how can I prevent the mouse from having to be released using the  control - command key.

this used to work fine, but now I have to manually enter that keystroke each time I want to love back and forth between machines

Any help again is appreciated

Thanks

j

0 Kudos
jjohnson985
Contributor
Contributor

Final Answer and Resolutions:

Under normal circumstances without VMware Tools installed one must click into the Virtual Machine Display for it (the Virtual Machine) to grab keyboard and mouse input and with VMware Tools installed all one needs to do is mouse over the Virtual Machine Display and it automatically grabs input.  So without VMware Tools installed on must press a given key combination (Ctrl+Command)for the Virtual Machine Display to release (ungrab) the keyboard and mouse from the Virtual Machine.

On my system with "Always optimize mouse for games" selected I have to manually ungrab the mouse and keyboard from the Virtual Machine to have control outside of the Virtual Machine (or back on the Mac side).  With the default (Auto-detect mouse for games) selected input is automatically grabbed/ungrabbed as the mouse is moved to the edge of the Virtual Machine Display.

If the behavior I've described is not working on your system I not sure why as what I've described is the default behavior not something that is just supposed to act that any on my system however the follow parameter added to the preferences file may or not help however I guess it's worth a try.

pref.motionUngrab = "FALSE"

With the Virtual Machine shutdown from within the Guest OS, not suspended, and VMware Fusion closed add the above parameter to the "/Users/${USER}/Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion/preferences" file.  JSYK This parameter is used in VMware Workstation and may have no affect in VMware Fusion and I'm only suggesting this as I have no other suggestions then to uninstall VMware Tools.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry, had to go look at a house I'm in the process of purchasing...  So where are you now, is everything okay or do you need any additional help?

0 Kudos