VMware Communities
twyles
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Inconsistent status of VMware Tools installation...

Hi

I'm running VMware Fusion 1.1.2 on OS X 10.5.2. My guest OS is Oracle Enterprise Linux 5.

I have installed VMware Tools by selecting the menu option Virtual Machine/Install VMware Tools. The iso file mounts, I double-click to install the rpm, enter the root password when prompted and the installer completes fine.

If I mount the iso and manually navigate to /media/VMware Tools to rum rpm -Uvh VMwareTools-7.6.3-87978.i386.rpm, I am told the package is already installed.

So far so good, except at the bottom of my VMware window I see the message "VMware Tools is not installed. Choose the Virtual Machine > Install VMware Tools menu".

Guest and host machines have been restarted several times.

Any ideas?

Many thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
powervm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I think you have installed VMware Tools with RPM package.

Then you need to configure the Tools by running the 'vmware-config-tools.pl' command

Configured it and check

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
powervm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I think you have installed VMware Tools with RPM package.

Then you need to configure the Tools by running the 'vmware-config-tools.pl' command

Configured it and check

0 Kudos
twyles
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Pull up a chair, grab a brandy and light yourself a big fat cigar!

Thanks very much. I had noticed the perl script under /usr/bin but hadn't seen reference to it anywhere in the instructions.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Help > VMware Fusion Help > Creating Virtual Machines > Installing and Upgrading VMware Tools > To install or upgrade VMware Tools in a Linux virtual machine from X with the RPM installer

0 Kudos