VMware Communities
lfreitag
Contributor
Contributor

Inaccessible Boot Device error

I just installed a trial version of Fusion 11 from Fusion 10,  I am able to run Windows 10 well within Fusion 11.  However, when I restarted my Macbook Pro (2017 running Mojave) to directly launch the Bootcamp partition, I received a blue screen error, with the code Inaccessible Boot Device error.  In summary, I only get that error message when launching Bootcamp on restart, but that same partition works fine when i open it in Fusion.  How can I repair the BootCamp partition so that I can launch it natively on the Macbook Pro when necessary?  Thank you in advance for help on this!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Inaccessible Boot Device usually means that you have misconfigured the parameter scsi0.virtualDev in the vmx-file.

0 Kudos
tom_zuerich_ch
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Ifreitag

i am posting if others have similar problems, and might find my experience useful:

i had the same probleme after running my bootcamp partition via vmware.
The problem was caused by a windows update, running while on the virtual (vmware) hardware: 

the error:
- running bootcamp partition windows on virtual hardware / vmware fusion
- windows update running
- native boot into bootcamp-windows -> inaccessible boot device error.
- unable to native boot on macbook pro 2019, t2 security chip

I took my quite a hassle to find out, what the problem was.
At sources / webpages  people claim, it might be an error in the windows boot manager - but i did not manage to acess / check these settings.

It turned out, that a missing (deleted ?) Apple SSD Driver was the reason.
Somehow it should be possible to inject the driver while booting from an external drive (ssd/usb-stick) and use native Microsoft Dism Add-Driver - that didn't worked for my,
I am able to boot from an USB stick, but the internal SSD in the macbook is not accessible, nor I was able to mount it via Diskmanagement. ( i think some T2-Security settings...)

my solution was to use a 50 USD Standard version of winclone, this software has the ability to inject drivers (tools -> Add Bootcamp Drivers) from the mac os x side into the offline bootcamp partition, while mac os x is running. It would be great if vmware would allow this task.

kind regards -tom

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Questions:

Was the VM still able to boot under Fusion when you could not boot it with Boot Camp? If so, would it be possible to install the Apple disk driver in the VM from there?

Also, what updates was Windows applying at the time of the issue?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
tom_zuerich_ch
Contributor
Contributor

for my case - yes it was possible to start the bootcamp partition via vmware.
But if you run the bootcamp installer it checks for the correct hardware and stops. As Bootcamp uses nested installations - maybe it s possible to run the nested installers - but i haven't tried this.

The Windows updated that cause the problem was "windows update 2h21".
Running the same update via a native boot did not cause any problems.

0 Kudos