VMware Communities
amirsoftwareeng
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In M2 Pro Unable to install Kali linux: gives an error compatibility

Hi there

I am having Macbook m2 Pro unfortunately after installation it gives an error which is underfollowing:

This version of VMware Fusion is for Intel-based Macs, but is being run on an Apple silicon based Mac via Rosetta-2.

Transport (VMDB) error -14: Pipe connection has been broken

let me know how would I download the correct version of VMware , I need it to be done.

let me know how to solve this issue without paying any thing

looking forward to hearing from you

Best Wishes
AMir. Ali

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You need Fusion 13 for a Mac with the M1 or M2, and assuming your usage is non-commercial you can register for a free Player licence.

https://customerconnect.vmware.com/en/evalcenter?p=fusion-player-personal-13

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You need Fusion 13 for a Mac with the M1 or M2, and assuming your usage is non-commercial you can register for a free Player licence.

https://customerconnect.vmware.com/en/evalcenter?p=fusion-player-personal-13

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you are using Fusion for commercial purposes and you bought a Fusion 12 license after October 25,2022, you would.be entitled to a free upgrade to Fusion 13. 

Otherwise you will have to pay for a Fusion 13 license. Discounted upgrade pricing is available from VMware if your current Fusion license is for version 11 or 12. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
treee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you are running on Apple Silicon then you'll not only need Fusion 13 but you also need arm64/aarch64 version of the host os. Your screenshot shows that you have the amd64 (aka intel version) of Kali.

When you go to the Kali linux download page make sure to pick the installer image and set the slider to the most right option (it will be named Apple Silicon ARM64).
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

After you download the correct installer, create a custom virtual machine - don’t drag and drop the ISO into the Create a Virtual Machine dialog.
Use a “Other Linux kernel 5.x 64-bit Arm” guest OS type

Give your VM 2 CPUs and least 4096 MB of memory

Set your virtual disk size to a 20 GB or larger. Anything smaller and you risk install failures because not everything will fit  

Configure your virtual CD-DVD drive to use the arm64 installation ISO you downloaded, and make sure you connect it to the VM  

Power on the VM. It should boot and start the installer  I’ve done it more times than I can count if you take these recommendations.

if you haven’t done so, take a look at the Unofficial Companion Guide found here https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Fusion-Documents/The-Unofficial-Fusion-13-for-Apple-Silicon...

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos