VMware Communities
curtisboyle
Contributor
Contributor

Improved memory usage for Fusion 3

In the VMWare Fusion 3: New Features article, it mentions that:

"Greatly reduced memory usage when using all Windows Vista and Windows 7 virtual machines. (Applies to Windows XP VMs created in VMware Fusion 3)"

Since I have an XP SP3 Pro that was created in Fusion 2, I would like to do whatever it takes to get it to work with 3.0, with the reduced memory usage. Is there a way to convert a 2.x image to a 3.x image? How much RAM savings should I expect?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Basically this has to do with hard disk buffering and disk alignment.

In short, if you create a new windows XP install then your disk gets aligned with OS X, removing the need for extra disk buffering.

You can test the difference by changing a parameter for your virtual machine, but as your disk is most likely not aligned, your performance is likely to suffer.

You can find it back in Virtual Machine -> settings -> Advanced -> Other -> Hard Disk buffering

There's an explanation of how it works in this -pretty long- thread: and also some steps on how you can convert your existing VM's if you really want to change it.

--

Wil

VI-Toolkit & scripts wiki at http://www.vi-toolkit.com

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos