VMware Communities
ttabi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Imported VM from Parallels, now I get "The BusLogic SCSI adapter is not supported for 64-bit guests."

I have a Fedora 16 64-bit VM that I use in Parallels Desktop.  When I first installed VMWare Fusion 5, I was given the opportunity to import that VM.  I did that, but when I boot, the VM hangs.  I went into the VM configuration in VMWare and fixed a few things that the import missed.  Now I when I boot the VM, I get this dialog box:

The BusLogic SCSI adapter is not supported for 64-bit guests.

I searched the web and this forum, and I can't find any information on fixing this problem.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would not necessarily do first as suggested by the other reply in this thread and instead add the following line to the Virtual Machine's .vmx configuration file.

scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"

This should resolve the error message you're getting without having to modify the .vmdk directly.  Have a look at: Editing the .vmx file for your VMware Fusion virtual machine (1014782)   Video

That said, if you want detailed recomendations based on the actual existing configuration then... To help figure out what is what, the best way to provide comprehensive diagnostic information is to use the "Collect Support Information" command from the VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Collect Support Information and then attach the .tgz file it created on your Desktop to a reply post.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
21 Replies
avanish321
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This article may be helful

change hard disk controller

Try changing it to ide or lsilogic.

Cheers! Avanish
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would not necessarily do first as suggested by the other reply in this thread and instead add the following line to the Virtual Machine's .vmx configuration file.

This should resolve the error message you're getting without having to modify the .vmdk directly.  Have a look at: Editing the .vmx file for your VMware Fusion virtual machine (1014782)   Video

That said, if you want detailed recomendations based on the actual existing configuration then... To help figure out what is what, the best way to provide comprehensive diagnostic information is to use the "Collect Support Information" command from the VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Collect Support Information and then attach the .tgz file it created on your Desktop to a reply post.

0 Kudos
ttabi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks, that fixed the problem, but now my guest hangs.  All I see is this:

Screen shot 2012-11-23 at 10.43.24 AM.png

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Okay the "# Disk DescriptorFile" section of the monolithicSparse .vmdk file shows ddb.adapterType = "buslogic" and needs to be set to ddb.adapterType = "lsilogic" however if you want to maintain the .vmdk as a monolithicSparse vs. a twoGbMaxExtentSparse type disk then you will not be able to use the directions in the first reply in this thread.  So if you want to maintain the .vmdk as a monolithicSparse let me know and I'll have to give to directions otherwise you can use the information in the linked KB.

I have only taken a cursory look at the support bundle and there may be other issues or additional steps needed for a complete resolution however lets correct this first and go from there.

Note: Before doing anything make sure you have a proper* backup of the Virtual Machine Package.

==========

* It is a known fact that Time Machine is not 100% reliable backing up/restoring Virtual Machines under all circumstances/conditions.  Also backing up Virtual Machines via Time Machine is disk/time intensive and wastes a tremendous amount of space for something that may be corrupt and worthless come time to restore it.  At a minimum I would exclude Virtual Machines from Time Machine and with the Virtual Machines shutdown, not suspended, and VMware Fusion closed then manually copy the Virtual Machines Package(s) to an alternate location, preferably on to a different physical hard disk.  Then keep the User Data that is stored within the Virtual Machine backed up off of the Virtual Machine on a regular basis so as to always have a current User Data Backup.  If you have to restore a properly backed up Virtual Machine that is not as current at least you'll have a working Virtual Machine and current User Data to go forward with when you find out your Time Machine Backup of the Virtual Machine fails.

0 Kudos
avanish321
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Try changing the type of controller as mentioned in article. Since its imported, those steps appear to be more valid.

I have not tried those steps and since it involves direct changes in vmdk file, making a backup of it is advisible.

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos
ttabi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You want me to edit the .vmdk file?  It's 11GB in size, and it's a combination of text and binary.  How am I supposed to edit that???

I appreciate your help, but I don't understand why this is so complicated.

0 Kudos
avanish321
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Before making any changes, you need to split the disks into 2 GB . Once that is done you must edit the controller . System wont crash that way because the size of the base disk will be in terms of KBs

Refer to the article link I posted.

Again, do take a backup of the virtual disk to be safe .

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

While the steps in the KB are valid steps of one method to change the adapter type that KB doesn't rectify everything as the VM is presently configured.  In other words if ttabi changes it to lsilogic instead of ide then the .vmx file will not need additional manual edits not covered this.  The bottom line is I wanted to see the support bundle before making recommendations to modify the .vmdk as it is the more prudent course of action in cases such as this to have all the technical facts first! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

avanish wrote: Before making any changes, you need to split the disks into 2 GB .

Technically, you do not need to split the disk first!  the "# Disk DescriptorFile" section of the monolithicSparse .vmdk file can be edited in several different ways without having to split the disk first!  Although for the nontechnical user it may be easier to do that nonetheless it certainly isn't faster.  I could change buslogic to lsilogic in the monolithicSparse .vmdk in less then a minute without spliting it!

0 Kudos
avanish321
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

How  ? Using terminal ? Using search and replace ?

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Using dd to extract and inject back the "# Disk DescriptorFile" section of the monolithicSparse .vmdk file after changing buslogic to lsilogic in TextEdit.  If I was sitting in front of the system or doing a remote access session it would take me less then a minute to safely edit the monolithicSparse .vmdk file and not have to take all that time splitting the disk. Smiley Wink

In a Terminal use the following syntax:

dd if=<vmdk_name>.vmdk of=ddf.txt bs=512 skip=1 count=2
open ddf.txt
dd conv=notrunc if=ddf.txt of=<vmdk_name>.vmdk bs=512 seek=1 count=2

Message was edited by: WoodyZ - Added dd syntax.

0 Kudos
ttabi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Changing the controller type to lsilogic or ide fixed nothing.  It still hangs at boot.

I created a Fedora 16 VM from a fresh install, and that works, but of course it has none of my customizations.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ttabi wrote: Changing the controller type to lsilogic or ide fixed nothing.  It still hangs at boot.

I assumed if you changed it to ide you also made the additional edited necessary to the .vmx configuration file, yes|no?

Also have you tried pressing the Esc key during the Fedora boot process to review the output for any clues as to where in the boot process it's stalling?

0 Kudos
ttabi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The instructions for changing the vmdk file to 'ide' say nothing about the vmx file.  When I change scsi0.virtualDev to "ide", I get an error about invalid value, which makes sense.  I don't know what changes need to be made to the vmx file if ddb.adapterType is set to 'ide'.

Pressing the escape key does not show the boot log.  It just displays ^[ every time I press it.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ttabi wrote:

The instructions for changing the vmdk file to 'ide' say nothing about the vmx file.  When I change scsi0.virtualDev to "ide", I get an error about invalid value, which makes sense.  I don't know what changes need to be made to the vmx file if ddb.adapterType is set to 'ide'.

This is in part why I first said, "I would not necessarily do first as suggested by the other reply in this  thread and instead add the following line to the Virtual Machine's .vmx  configuration file." and without the support bundle to see exactly how you had the Virtual Machine configured (or at the very least the .vmx configuration file) it would not necessarily be the appropriate first step, gathering all technical facts is the better way to proceed in cases like this.  Anyway...

The .vmx file contains scsi0:0.fileName = "Fedora 16-0.vmdk" and this would need to be changed to ide0:0.fileName = "Fedora 16-0.vmdk" and additionally adding ide0:0.present = "TRUE" while setting scsi0:0.present = "FALSE".

Pressing the escape key does not show the boot log.  It just displays ^[ every time I press it.

Works fine for me, I can see the entire boot output until the Desktop starts to load.

Message was edited by: WoodyZ - Originally posted, Nov 23, 2012 2:15 PM.

0 Kudos
avanish321
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

dd if=<vmdk_name>.vmdk of=ddf.txt bs=512 skip=1 count=2
open ddf.txt
dd conv=notrunc if=ddf.txt of=<vmdk_name>.vmdk bs=512 seek=1 count=2

Thanks . Smiley Happy

I need to do more research on that to have better understanding on it.

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

avanish wrote: I need to do more research on that to have better understanding on it.

The dd program is an extremely powerful and wonderful utility, however it can also be extremely dangerous if not used properly! Smiley Wink  In other words, never use it without having a known good backup! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
ttabi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The .vmx file contains scsi0:0.fileName = "Fedora 16-0.vmdk" and this would need to be changed to ide0:0.fileName = "Fedora 16-0.vmdk" and additionally adding ide0:0.present = "TRUE" while setting scsi0:0.present = "FALSE".

I'm confused, because the VMX file already has those changes:

.encoding = "UTF-8"
config.version = "8"
virtualHW.version = "9"
pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge4.functions = "8"
pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge5.functions = "8"
pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge6.functions = "8"
pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge7.functions = "8"
vmci0.present = "TRUE"
hpet0.present = "TRUE"
roamingVM.exitBehavior = "go"
mks.enable3d = "TRUE"
virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"
tools.upgrade.policy = "upgradeAtPowerCycle"
tools.syncTime = "TRUE"
powerType.powerOff = "soft"
powerType.powerOn = "soft"
powerType.suspend = "soft"
powerType.reset = "soft"
gui.exitonCLIHLT = "TRUE"
scsi0.present = "TRUE"
proxyApps.publishToGuest = "TRUE"
displayName = "Fedora 16"
nvram = "Fedora 16.nvram"
memsize = "1024"
guestOS = "fedora-64"
usb.present = "FALSE"
usb.generic.autoconnect = "TRUE"
scsi0:1.present = "TRUE"
scsi0:1.startConnected = "TRUE"
scsi0:1.deviceType = "cdrom-image"
scsi0:1.fileName = "/Library/Parallels/Tools/prl-tools-lin.iso"
ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.connectionType = "custom"
ethernet0.startConnected = "TRUE"
ethernet0.wakeOnPcktRcv = "FALSE"
ethernet0.linkStatePropagation.enable = "TRUE"
serial0.present = "TRUE"
serial0.fileType = "thinprint"
printers.enabled = "TRUE"
usb.vbluetooth.startConnected = "FALSE"
extendedConfigFile = "Fedora 16.vmxf"
scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "16"
ethernet0.addressType = "generated"
ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "33"
usb.pciSlotNumber = "-1"
vmci0.id = "215355620"
vmci0.pciSlotNumber = "36"
uuid.location = "56 4d 9a 1f 2b b8 74 95-ef 66 00 0a 0c d6 10 e4"
uuid.bios = "56 4d 9a 1f 2b b8 74 95-ef 66 00 0a 0c d6 10 e4"
cleanShutdown = "TRUE"
replay.supported = "FALSE"
replay.filename = ""
pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"
pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"
pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"
pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"
pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"
usb:0.present = "TRUE"
usb:1.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0C:29:D6:10:E4"
ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"
vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "134217728"
softPowerOff = "FALSE"
usb:0.deviceType = "hid"
usb:0.port = "0"
usb:0.parent = "-1"
usb:1.speed = "2"
usb:1.deviceType = "hub"
usb:1.port = "1"
usb:1.parent = "-1"
ethernet0.vnet = "vmnet2"
ethernet0.bsdName = "en0"
ethernet0.displayName = "Ethernet"
keyboardAndMouseProfile = "52110677-c033-2ce0-8094-8da5fc3c"
bios.bootOrder = ""
bios.hddOrder = ""
checkpoint.vmState = "Fedora 16-2f774134.vmss"
ide0:0.present = "TRUE"
ide0:0.fileName = "Fedora 16-0.vmdk"
scsi0:0.present = "FALSE"
ehci.present = "FALSE"
sound.present = "FALSE"
floppy0.present = "FALSE"
ide0:0.redo = ""

and here's the VMDK file:

# Disk DescriptorFile
version=1
encoding="UTF-8"
CID=7e8951b4
parentCID=ffffffff
isNativeSnapshot="no"
createType="twoGbMaxExtentSparse"

# Extent description
RW 4192256 SPARSE "Fedora 16-0-s001.vmdk"
RW 4192256 SPARSE "Fedora 16-0-s002.vmdk"
RW 4192256 SPARSE "Fedora 16-0-s003.vmdk"
RW 4192256 SPARSE "Fedora 16-0-s004.vmdk"
RW 4192256 SPARSE "Fedora 16-0-s005.vmdk"
RW 4192256 SPARSE "Fedora 16-0-s006.vmdk"
RW 4192256 SPARSE "Fedora 16-0-s007.vmdk"
RW 4192256 SPARSE "Fedora 16-0-s008.vmdk"
RW 4192256 SPARSE "Fedora 16-0-s009.vmdk"
RW 4192256 SPARSE "Fedora 16-0-s010.vmdk"
RW 4192256 SPARSE "Fedora 16-0-s011.vmdk"
RW 4192256 SPARSE "Fedora 16-0-s012.vmdk"
RW 4192256 SPARSE "Fedora 16-0-s013.vmdk"
RW 4192256 SPARSE "Fedora 16-0-s014.vmdk"
RW 4192256 SPARSE "Fedora 16-0-s015.vmdk"
RW 4192256 SPARSE "Fedora 16-0-s016.vmdk"
RW 4192256 SPARSE "Fedora 16-0-s017.vmdk"
RW 4192256 SPARSE "Fedora 16-0-s018.vmdk"
RW 4192256 SPARSE "Fedora 16-0-s019.vmdk"
RW 4192256 SPARSE "Fedora 16-0-s020.vmdk"
RW 4192256 SPARSE "Fedora 16-0-s021.vmdk"
RW 4192256 SPARSE "Fedora 16-0-s022.vmdk"
RW 4192256 SPARSE "Fedora 16-0-s023.vmdk"
RW 4192256 SPARSE "Fedora 16-0-s024.vmdk"
RW 4192256 SPARSE "Fedora 16-0-s025.vmdk"
RW 4192256 SPARSE "Fedora 16-0-s026.vmdk"
RW 4192256 SPARSE "Fedora 16-0-s027.vmdk"
RW 4192256 SPARSE "Fedora 16-0-s028.vmdk"
RW 4192256 SPARSE "Fedora 16-0-s029.vmdk"
RW 4192256 SPARSE "Fedora 16-0-s030.vmdk"
RW 4192256 SPARSE "Fedora 16-0-s031.vmdk"
RW 4192256 SPARSE "Fedora 16-0-s032.vmdk"
RW 65536 SPARSE "Fedora 16-0-s033.vmdk"

# The Disk Data Base
#DDB

ddb.adapterType = "ide"
ddb.geometry.sectors = "63"
ddb.geometry.heads = "255"
ddb.geometry.cylinders = "8354"
ddb.uuid = "60 00 C2 97 99 ad 35 70-71 61 9a 46 d9 7d 73 fc"
ddb.longContentID = "5154f5b5d966c5990377efac7e8951b4"
ddb.virtualHWVersion = "6"
ddb.deletable = "true"

I'm convinced that the import process is just broken.  No one seems to use it, VMWare gets information about the guest wrong (it thought I had a 2.2 kernel, for example), and it requires several undocumented tweaks to get it to work (which it so far hasn't).

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ttabi wrote:

I'm confused, because the VMX file already has those changes:

Looking at the Fedora 16.vmx file from the support bundle those changes are not there!

I'm convinced that the import process is just broken.

I throughly agree with you and personally would never use it! Smiley Wink  I use my own methods to to P2V and V2V and for me it's faster and easier then dealing with what seems like a half-baked product at times. (I'm referring to the converting/importing components not VMware Fusion pre se.)

0 Kudos