VMware Communities
davidliu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Important Notes on Mac OS X Server 10.5.6 guest

Apple released Mac OS X 10.5.6 update today. Unfortunately, there are a couple of known issues with this update, and we recommend that you do not update your virtual machine to OS X Server 10.5.6 at this time. Follow this link to the updated VMware Fusion 2.0.1 Release Notes for more information on the issues with Mac OS X Server 10.5.6, and the workaround in case you already updated to 10.5.6 and did not take a snapshot before the update: http://www.vmware.com/support/fusion2/doc/releasenotes_fusion_201.html#beforebegin

These issues will be fixed in the next maintenance release of VMware Fusion.

Thanks,

David Liu, Product Manager, VMware Fusion

0 Kudos
3 Replies
bdipert
Contributor
Contributor

David, just to clarify, is only the Server version of OS 10.5.5->10.5.6 affected? In other words, if I'm running Fusion 2.01 on OS 10.5.5 Client, am I safe to do the upgrade to OS 10.5.6 in a subsequent Fusion bug-free manner?

0 Kudos
davidliu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, these two issues only affect running the server version of OS X 10.5.6 as a guest OS (running it in a virtual machine). Running Fusion 2.0.1 on 10.5.6 as a host should not be affected. However, since Mac OS X 10.5.6 came out after VMware Fusion 2.0.1 was released, our QA team could not test OS X 10.5.6 host. Folks should be cautious with 10.5.6 as host until we release the next patch release of VMware Fusion.
-David
0 Kudos
sonicbuddha
Contributor
Contributor

Wow, I spent a while pounding my head on this before I found this post and its refrence to the annoucnment in the release notes. I can add that the 10.5.6 machine is still networked, continues to provide services, and is availablle via ssh and remote desktop. This also makes the fix listed in the releaes notes much easier to apply.

Is there a mailing list where such announcements are sent to? And how do I get on that list?

0 Kudos