VMware Communities
clearplan
Contributor
Contributor

Import Windows 7 Bootcamp

Hi

recently bought a MBP and love it.

For some work apps I need to be able to run Windows, so I set up a bootcamp partition and installed Windows 7.

All works fine. I also have VM Fusion, so having installed that I can also run W7 under Fusion.

I can see some comments regarding Importing the existing bootcamp partition into fusion, however I cant seem to find any info on the advantages / disadvantages of doing this. Can anyone point out the pros and cons?

I'd still like to run native Windows occasionally (performance for games), if I import the BC partition will I still retain the dual boot option?

Will importing the BC into Fusion allow me to share data / drives (edit the same docs in windows MS Office and also in Mac Office)?

Lots of basic questions - sorry but I'm new to the Mac and Fusion!!

Thanks in advance for your help.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

When you import the Boot Camp partition as a Virtual Machine, Fusion is creating a completely new file based Virtual Machine based on the Boot Camp partition and is completely separate and apart and independent of the source.

In general normal file based Virtual Machines typically preform better the virtualizing a Raw Disk such as the native Boot Camp partition however if you want to import and also keep the physical Boot Camp partition this would require to have two separate licenses where just running the physical Boot Camp partition as a Raw Disk Virtual Machine then you only need one license.

Have a look at:

0 Kudos
clearplan
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

So what I think this means is that if I import BC into Fusion, I'll end up

with two instances of W7 in the VM library - a bootcamp one and a VM one. If

I choose to keep them both I'll need activation for each one. Have I got

that right? If once I import the BC into fusion, I could then delete the

BC partition?

Sorry if I have this all wrong - I'm pretty new to this.

Is data sharing (i.e. access o the Macs drives and docs) ever possible after

booting natively into the windows machine? I'd like to occasionally run

windows 7 natively but still have access to my Mac office docs without

needing to copy them every time.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos