VMware Communities
trodemaster
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Impact of not installing Fuse with Fusion 2.0.1

I need to clarify what impact not installing fuse with fusion 2.0.1 has for our internal support. What exactly doesn't work if your system is fuseless?

1. unable to mount .vmdk files in the finder. (please confirm)

2. Fusion modifies bootcamp volumes the first time you boot them. Is this effected by missing fuse?

Thanks,

blake

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The only thing effected is 1. You will not be able to use VMDKMounter to mount a Virtual Hard Drive.

Installing/Not Installing MacFUSE has nothing to do with setting up the Boot Camp partition to run as a Virtual Machine

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The only thing effected is 1. You will not be able to use VMDKMounter to mount a Virtual Hard Drive.

Installing/Not Installing MacFUSE has nothing to do with setting up the Boot Camp partition to run as a Virtual Machine

0 Kudos
trodemaster
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Ok thanks!

I thought fuse was used during the injection of drivers to the bootcamp partitions initially. They must be using a different tool or copy of fuse to get that work done.

blake

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I thought fuse was used during the injection of drivers to the bootcamp partitions initially. They must be using a different tool or copy of fuse to get that work done.

First of all MacFUSE does not provide NTFS Write Support so if the Boot Camp partition is formatted NTFS then what good is MacFUSE going to do? (Rhetorical Question not need to respond.)

Second the Helper Virtual Machine that is run/used, hidden in the background, to Prepare the Boot Camp partition is Linux Based and MacFUSE runs on OS X not Linux.

So MacFUSE that can be installed by VMware 2.x has nothing to do with preparing the Boot Camp partition and if you really what to know how its done you can study the contents of the "/Users/$/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Helper/naos-1.0.vmwarevm" Virtual Machine and the contents of it's Package.

0 Kudos