VMware Communities
hildaw
Contributor
Contributor

IP Address in Win XP running on Mac via Fusion

After a recent Time Capsule update, my network wouldnt work. Mac support helped me get it back up and running on my Imac and my PC, but when I tried to access the internet on the Windows side of my Mac (via Fusion) it would not access. Its TCP/IP addresses are all wrong, and despite asking it to automatically configure it still comes up with one starting with 169. I have tried inputting the correct addresses and it looks as if its happy with that, but still it will not connect me to the internet.Should I uninstall Fusion and reinstall to remove this address.

Will Fusion then pick up a correct address and continue working?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

After a recent Time Capsule update, my network wouldnt work. Mac support helped me get it back up and running on my Imac and my PC, but when I tried to access the internet on the Windows side of my Mac (via Fusion) it would not access. Its TCP/IP addresses are all wrong, and despite asking it to automatically configure it still comes up with one starting with 169. I have tried inputting the correct addresses and it looks as if its happy with that, but still it will not connect me to the internet.Should I uninstall Fusion and reinstall to remove this address.

Will Fusion then pick up a correct address and continue working?

Make sure the Virtual Machines Network is Connected and is not set to Host Only and use either the default setting NAT or use Bridged if applicable.

Shutdown, not suspend the Virtual Machine then...

Try the following command... copy and paste the following into a Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal)

sudo "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/boot.sh" --restart

Press Enter and type your Password and press Enter.

Now start the Virtual Machine and make sure the Network Adapter is Enabled in Windows and if not then enable it and then see if you can connect to the Internet.

If you can then try the following...

Shutdown, not suspend the Virtual Machine then reboot the Mac.

Run the Virtual Machine and see if you can connect to the Internet.

If you can't then uninstall Fusion, reboot and then reinstall Fusion.

0 Kudos
hildaw
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Woody. Resolved the problem by upgrading to VM Fusion 1.1.1 Rebooted and immediately network fired into action. Thanks for your efforts, would have tried that next.

0 Kudos