VMware Communities
jdesorme
Contributor
Contributor

INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error

I installed Windows XP on my new MBP yesterday, on a 30 GB FAT32 partition on the internal hard drive. Installation went without a hitch. Windows loaded fine under Boot Camp, I installed all the relevant drivers, then restarted into OSX to get VMWare working.

Whenever I try to boot XP on VMWare, I get a BSOD immediately after the Windows logo appears for half a second or so, with the 0x0000007B (0xC000000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) message. Having read other discussions here, I understand that to mean inaccessible boot device and hence hard disk driver trouble. I already tried editing the SCSI entry and doing the "registry fix" by copying the two files into system32 and running the bootcamp.reg entry under Boot Camp; the editing seems to have been successful but VMWare is still broken. I've deleted the Virtual Machines folder 4 times and it's not doing any good. I checked the system and software hives and they don't even add up to 30 MB combined.I haven't been able to find any other fixes posted online, so I'm at my wits' end

I'm attaching a few logs that have come up- I hope they're of some use. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this issue, and would you need any additional info to diagnose this?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jim_gill
Expert
Expert

I'm so sorry you're having trouble. I'm actively trying to stamp out these 7B errors now, hopefully to be part of some future update to Fusion, if possible.

The most probable cause of the 7B error is that we can't update the Windows registry from the outside and enable the driver that lets Windows boot up with the virtual IDE controller. This can happen if the registry doesn't have existing free space for the new settings (we can't expand it). It's also possible that you have some other driver installed that is conflicting, and that's more difficult.

If you're willing I will work with you to get it going manually. You say you've tried some of my previous postings in the forum, but let's go through them one by one -- it's always possible that you have some configuration wildly different from any of the machines in our testing labs.

Would you go back into Boot Camp mode, and verify the following things:

1) There exists a file c:\Windows\system32\drivers\intelide.sys

2) There exists a file c:\Windows\system32\drivers\i8042prt.sys

3) Run regedit, and look for the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\CurrentControlSet\Services\Intelide. This should have a Start value of zero and an ImagePath of "system32\DRIVERS\intelide.sys".

If those don't exist, run the registry scripts we've posted, in the Boot Camp VM, and verify that they got put in.

4) Go back into Boot Camp, delete the ~/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines folder one last time, then tell Fusion to start up the Boot Camp partition.

5) The most interesting logfile will be found as ~/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Helper/naos-1.0.vmwarevm/vmware.log. If you're still having the 7B issue, could you post it for up for me please?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

4) Go back into Boot Camp, delete the ~/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines folder one last time, then tell Fusion to start up the Boot Camp partition.

Jim probably means to boot back to OS X and delete the...

0 Kudos
jim_gill
Expert
Expert

Yup, thanks Woody.

0 Kudos
jdesorme
Contributor
Contributor

I just followed the steps and found the problem- your previous forum post specified "Copy the two files (intelide.sys and i8042prt.sys) into your \Windows\System32 folder", where the path should have been Windows\System32\drivers. Relocating the files and following the other steps worked fine, and VMWare just booted up. Thanks a lot for the help!

0 Kudos
jim_gill
Expert
Expert

That makes me very happy. Thanks for using the forum, and I'll update the other thread.

0 Kudos