VMware Communities
Kingsalt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I need help went to restore XP VM and it got stuck and would not restore all the way. What do I do?

I need help went to restore XP VM and it got stuck and would not restore all the way. What do I do? I have to force quit and restart the computer to get back into vm again. However, it will load the XP VM and do the same thing every time . Any help really appreciated.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Spotlight will not find .vmem or .vmss because they are hidden in the virtual machine document bundle. Locate the VM bundle in Documents > Virtual Machines. To open the bundle, ctrl-click the icon until the context menu appears and select "Show Package Contents". The files should appear the window that opens.

For more background on how to locate these files, read Eric's guide here

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Liz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Your problem doesnt seem to be that clear. When you say restore, do you mean from backup tape? or do you mean you're trying to restore a snapshot?? Please post any log files and perhaps some details of your host, a list of the files and permissions etc.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you are familiar with , try reading this message . It's more Fusion-specific

0 Kudos
Kingsalt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the same exact problem described in the more fusion specific post. Problem is that I cannot locate the file that needs to be deleted to fix this problem. I use the finder but do not see the .vmem file anywhere or the vm-core.gz file either. Help is appreciated.

Thanks

Ed De Varona

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Spotlight will not find .vmem or .vmss because they are hidden in the virtual machine document bundle. Locate the VM bundle in Documents > Virtual Machines. To open the bundle, ctrl-click the icon until the context menu appears and select "Show Package Contents". The files should appear the window that opens.

For more background on how to locate these files, read Eric's guide here

0 Kudos
Kingsalt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks a million. It was easy to fix once I knew what I was doing!

0 Kudos