VMware Communities
ronyroni
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not gonna SPEND another $50 for a DAMN Yosemite compatibility!

I bought a license for Fusion 5. Now that I upgraded my OS to Yosemite, my Fushion just wouldn't run anymore.

Too much BS going on here, forcing your customers to upgrade for a mere compatibility issue. I say that's a damn cop-out.

Either VMWARE would release a fix for Fusion 5, Yosemite users... or you give us our money back asap!

11 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

For the record we want the name of the VMware employee that came to you and twisted your arm until you installed OS X 10.10 Yosemite...  Oh, what's that... no one from VMware forced you to upgrade to OS X 10.10 Yosemite, you say you made that decision all on your own!  That's good to know your the one responsible for upgrading an OS before doing proper due diligence.  There's nothing quite like the consequences of one's own actions! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
dgc137
Contributor
Contributor

So what about those of us who were forced to upgrade, for whatever reason, who are just trying to get some work done? I can put in a requisition for a new license but it's going to take a week or two to go through. AFAICT my only option right now is to pay out of pocket and hope I can get reimbursed. Also, can I be sure that 7 will import my VMs? There were some problems going from 3 to 5 a while back.

0 Kudos
ronyroni
Contributor
Contributor

Oh, so it's Yosemite users' fault now for upgrading to that OS?

"If you want to use our software, don't upgrade to Yosemite. Otherwise, give us another $50." Is that how VMWARE works?

I'm a Mac user, so naturally, I would upgrade.

Your "no one from VMware forced you to upgrade to OS X 10.10 Yosemite" comment makes you sound stupid.

This is really not an issue of upgrading to Yosemite. As paying customers, it's VMWARE's RESPONSIBILITY to provide us with free updates that would ensure the compatibility of their software.

If we're just gonna give $50 to VMWARE every time Apple comes up with a new OS, then to hell with that. I'm not gonna support that kind of business.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

dgc137 wrote: So what about those of us who were forced to upgrade, for whatever reason, who are just trying to get some work done? I can put in a requisition for a new license but it's going to take a week or two to go through. AFAICT my only option right now is to pay out of pocket and hope I can get reimbursed. Also, can I be sure that 7 will import my VMs? There were some problems going from 3 to 5 a while back.

First of all Virtual Machines created in a previous version of VMware Fusion do not need to be imported, they simply will just run!  Secondly you can install VMware Fusion 7 in 30 day trial mode, which is fully functional, until you get your purchased License Key.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

ronyroni wrote: Oh, so it's Yosemite users' fault now for upgrading to that OS?

"If you want to use our software, don't upgrade to Yosemite. Otherwise, give us another $50." Is that how VMWARE works?

I'm a Mac user, so naturally, I would upgrade.

Of course it's the Users fault!  Generally speaking, it is the User after all that freely made the choice to do so!  I'm a Mac User too however I just do not upgrade every OS and or App made available whether free or paid and when I do I've already done the proper due diligence that should be done so as to avoid any issues like this.  I haven't upgraded each time there's been a release, having skipped over some and now choosing to stay at Mountain Lion for the time being.  Didn't do Mavericks and not going to do Yosemite either (other then in a VM)!  A choice I've freely made! Smiley Wink

Your "no one from VMware forced you to upgrade to OS X 10.10 Yosemite" comment makes you sound stupid.

Well it was just to make the point however if it does it certainly doesn't make me sound as stupid as the rest of your comments!...

This is really not an issue of upgrading to Yosemite. As paying customers, it's VMWARE's RESPONSIBILITY to provide us with free updates that would ensure the compatibility of their software.

If we're just gonna give $50 to VMWARE every time Apple comes up with a new OS, then to hell with that. I'm not gonna support that kind of business.

On general purchase without support contracts VMware does not make any guarantees that the product will work on future OS releases and there is a product lifecycle for which I believe VMware Fusion 5 support has ended although you can check the support matrix it you so choose.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

Ok .. you all had your chance to throw out some insults.. now stop being personal or this thread will end up being closed.

May I remind everybody here that you have to stay on topic, talk about the product, and that personal remarks are being frowned upon.

As a reminder from Community Terms of Use that you have agreed to when signing up to this forum, section 4 b)

b. Treat others in the Community as you would expect them to treat you. Do not engage in personal attacks or any type of "flaming" of other users. Do not "troll," i.e., post topics or opinions that are designed to provoke a negative response from one or more specific users.

I understand that the topic at hand is a bit of a heated debate, but please keep the discussion civilized.

Thank you.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
dgc137
Contributor
Contributor

s/do diligence/due diligence/

fwiw it has not been my experience that running older VMs in newer Fusion versions "just works". that may be true for single-major-version updates and minor updates, but last time I upgraded I had to do some mucking around with .vmx files, manually removing deprecated directives and adding their homomorphisms.

I'll have to try the 30 day trial, assuming that the trial is not linked to my account and/or resets at the major version lines. Thank you for that useful tidbit.

If that doesn't work I'm going to try importing to VirtualBox, as some of the others in my office have done that successfully. Apparently there's a problem with importing VMDKs that were in a suspended state (which all of my important machines are).

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello user,

The 30 day fully functional trial is here:

Try VMware Fusion or Fusion Pro.

No need to login, no account needed to download and install. The only thing the trial setup will ask for  is a valid email address. After 30 days you can either buy a license and continue using the same setup or roll back or switch to another product.

Best way is to shut down your Virtual Machine(s) before installing Fusion 7. You might consider making a backup of your VMs for ease of switching back, although that certainly isn't required to go back to an earlier version of Fusion.

Upon booting the VM in Fusion it will ask you to change the virtual hardware to the latest version and you should install the latest VMware Tools when booting the virtual machine.

Note that if you want to switch back to Fusion 5, that you have to change back the virtual hardware to be Fusion 5 compatible and uninstall the newer VMware Tools. This has to be done before you uninstall Fusion 7.

Hope this helps,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

s/do diligence/due diligence/

So much for Dragon Dictate and Spell Check.

fwiw it has not been my experience that running older VMs in newer Fusion versions "just works".

While I'm sure there can be issues at times nonetheless generally speaking I believe what I said stands true.  I've been using VMware products since the beginning having been through countless minor and major updates/upgrades and have rarely had an issue.  Even when skipping a major version or two as today I used two VM's created in both VMware Fusion 3 and VMware Fusion 5 under VMware Fusion 7 and they worked without issue as is.  I then also upgraded the virtual hardware okay and no issues installing the latest VMware Tools too.  Granted I never do minor or major updates/upgrades of and VMware Product or Host OS with the Virtual Machine in a suspended state as one IMO is supposed to properly shutdown, from within the Guest OS, not suspend the VM's prior to updating/upgrading the product or Host OS.  So this along with proper due diligence may contribute to my non-problematic minor or major updates/upgrades of the VMware Product or Host OS.

Apparently there's a problem with importing VMDKs that were in a suspended state (which all of my important machines are).

You can always manually delete the Virtual Machine Suspended State file (.vmss) prior to import however of course anything not saved to disk prior to being suspended will be lost.

0 Kudos
dgc137
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you @wila ,

I'm afraid I cannot shut down the virtual machines as Fusion 5 is not operational. Unless you have a suggestion on how to accomplish this outside of the Fusion interface?

I'll try the trial. Though I think the better option for me at this point is to switch to VirtualBox. I've discovered that using ovftool I can export my suspended machine with minimal loss to an OVF VM format and then run it from VirtualBox.

Yay Standards!

for anyone else, here are the options I used:

ovftool --diskMode=monolithicSparse  -o --powerOffSource -st=VMX -tt=OVF ~/Documents/Virtual\ Machines.localized/MyVM.vmx ~/Documents/MyVM.ovf

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

dgc137

Suspending the VM is the general advice as in order to avoid problems.

Personally I pretty much never had a problem with booting up suspended VMs on a newer version of Fusion.

Done that many times.

The one time I do see issues with a suspended VM is when trying to boot it up on different hardware, especially if the CPU is from a different brand or different time.

If just resuming the VM doesn't work, do as Woody suggested and remove the .vmss file.

VirtualBox is quite nice for the price it costs, but for my use it just doesn't cut it.

--

Wil

0 Kudos