VMware Communities
codrutpopescu
Contributor
Contributor

I hope Fusion for aarch64 will be available soon

I have used VMWare products for many years. For now I'm stuck with Parallels and I don't like it a bit. It works but they push other utilities which looks very shady. I need to run Linux on M1, I don't care about Windows.

If there is a beta available please opt me in.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Last I read here was that there will be a Tech Preview (beta), and VMware allow those to be used by anyone.

Assume you’re referring to Linux versions which run natively on ARM rather than x86.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
codrutpopescu
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, of course, aarch64 based Linux distros. Can't wait for the tech preview! Thanks!

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

VMware does not tend to publish dates when they release new versions or even when a beta becomes available. It is highly unusual for them to do so.

However... if I had to make an educated guess then I'd argue that they will be aiming for the VMworld 2021 event as that would be a perfect moment to show off something new and make a public beta available.

Not sure if they can make that, but October 5 -7 would make a lot of sense from my point of view.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

That's make a lot of sense - we expect a Monterey release around the end of the month, and that's when the new ARM Mac's are expected to ship too.  Be nice to have a Fusion that'll work on it (that's my transition trigger).

Now if we could just get MSFT to fix that darn EULA 😉

0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert

Yes, fixing the EULA would of course be the best solution, thus permitting virtualization of Windows 10 and 11 also on M1 Macs; while ARM-native Linux is not a problem; and the same for recent macOS versions (11 and 12), while sadly on M1s it won’t be possible to virtualize the Intel-only macOS 10.x, OS X and Mac OS X, and also older Windows versions…

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Exactly.  That's like running a gas engine on diesel fuel.  Those are done for good.

0 Kudos