VMware Communities
memphisgeek
Contributor
Contributor

I discovered what was making my Win7 VM hang up with 6.0.1 and Mavericks.

I was having issues with my Win 7 VM totally locking up and shooting my Air's CPU through the roof.

I had read somewhere where someone was having issues with an app and Mavericks' App Nap feature.

So I right-clicked on the Fusion app bundle in Finder, clicked on More Info, then checked the box in General that says "Prevent App Nap".

My VM is solid now.

Maybe someone could KB this "feature"?

@toddw

4 Replies
sdoughtie
Contributor
Contributor

THANKS!!! That fixed my problem!

Sean Doughtie AEC Communications, Inc. www.aeccommunications.com
Coach300
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I did a post on this "feature" earlier today and I, on a hunch, opted to "prevent App Nap" for VMWare Fusion and I believe that may well become a "best practice". An app nap could even halt a startup (because, after all, we enjoy watching paint dry as much as we do Windows starting up).

While I didn't mention VMWare Fusion by name, I sent a message on to Kim Komando about this "prevent' feature, perhaps it may make its way into a reader question or tip or "exclusively Mac" newsletter she sends out rather frequently. Look for it.

0 Kudos
tonyfirshman
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks - solves my lockup too. Route though is different for me - right click on the .app -> 'Get Info' and check "Prevent App Nav".

0 Kudos
barlettpsj
Contributor
Contributor

I thought mine was fixed too after disabling app nap, but just got back from a break to find my Windows 7 VM hung.  Cpu at full wack and not responding (Cmd-Ctrl only to get the mouse back to zap Fusion --- Cmd-Q did nothing).  I hope they fix this soon.  I had no hangs with Mountain Lion and Fusion 5.

0 Kudos