VMware Communities
yonaguska
Contributor
Contributor

I cannot access my guest VM when my host is on VPN

On my work Mac I have a linux guest running on Fusion 7.1.2. When I'm at work I have no issue connecting to my guest via ssh. When I work from home I use a VPN to the company's network. When on a VPN I cannot connect to my guest. I can ping from guest to host, but not from host to guest. The guest has access to the outside network with no issues. I am using a NAT'd connection on Fusion. I have changed it to a bridged connection, but the company's network becomes unreachable and restarting the network service fails to bring the ethernet port back up. Any thoughts? I really don't want to use the Fusion console because of the number of sessions I need to run.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

You're not mentioning what VPN software you are using.

But FWIW, this is usually set by the VPN administrator, if your PC has access to both VPN and another network (like your LAN or another VPN) then your computer becomes extra dangerous as your machine becomes a bridge between your LAN and the company network instead of being an end point.

So even before trying to workaround this consider that your company doesn't really want you to do this.

The way this usually works is that either all traffic is forced through the VPN, and/or the VPN software sets the DNS server to the companies DNS and/or it uses firewalling techniques to prevent other networking.

A workaround that I've used in the past was to setup the VPN from a VM instead. You could install an OS X (or Windows) guest and install the VPN software in there.

Then use the shared folders option to be able to share files etc..

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos