VMware Communities
John_Clarke
Contributor
Contributor

I can't Shut Down my Windows XP guest because it says VMware Tools didn't load properly. How do I get back to a steady state?

I can Force Quit Fusion but I cannot Shut Down or Suspend my Windows XP guest. I get an Error saying VMware Tools didn't load properly and either to change my custom script (I don't have any) or log a case to support. The problem is my Windows screen is essentially blank, only my background picture but no icons. My Windows Applications are gone from the VMware toolbar as well. I have logged a Support case with VMware but so far their recommendations assume I can get Shut Down or get to my C: drive to de-install or re-install VMware Tools. I think something may have been corrupted. How do I get back to a steady state?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
John_Clarke
Contributor
Contributor

I opened a support case on this and got it solved by the following: go to CD/DVD, then Choose Disk Image, search for the Windows.iso file and re-start using that file. That brought back the Windows XP screen with Start button, Icons, etc. I was then able to de-install VMware Tools, then re-install VMware Tools to get to a steady state.

0 Kudos