VMware Communities
t_chiba
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can not install Windows 10 on my virtual machine with USB media with MacBook Pro

I can not install Windows 10 on my virtual machine with USB media with MacBook Pro.

When creating a virtual machine and trying to install Windows 10 from USB media

Only "EFI USB Device ... Unsuccessful" is displayed, installation can not start.

The environment is as follows.

[Japanese]

MacBookPro で仮想マシンに USB メディアを使って Windows10 をインストールできません。

仮想マシンを作成し、USBメディアから Windows10 をインストールしようとすると

「EFI USB Device... Unsuccessful」とだけ表示され、インストールが始まりません。

環境は以下の通りです。

---

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)

macOS Mojave Version10.14

Use USB Hub

VMWare Fusion11

Windows10 Pro

---

Is it not possible to install using a hub?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

As I recall, it's not possible to install using USB media.  I believe the workaround is to make an ISO image, and install from that.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

As I recall, it's not possible to install using USB media.  I believe the workaround is to make an ISO image, and install from that.

bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I have been able to boot from USB thumb drive to install Windows 10 VM. The bootable USB thumb drive was created from Windows 10 Media Creation Tool.

I have successfully done so on a 2014 MacBook Pro with macOS Sierra and Fusion 8.5.x.

The virtual firmware of the VM needs to be UEFI not BIOS.

With Fusion 8.5.x, one trick is to set a delay in the firmware power up to give enough time to connect the USB thumb drive to the VM after you select "Power on to Firmware", so add the line

bios.bootDelay = "7000"

to the vmx configuration file. The value 7000 is 7000 milliseconds or 7 seconds. You can adjust the time as you like.

If you are able to connect the USB drive before the virtual UEFI/EFI fully powers up, you should be able to see a "EFI USB Device" in the boot option (see screenshot below). You can then select the EFI USB Device to boot up and install. This method also works for bootable Linux USB thumb drives.

You can try this trick to see if it works for you with Mojave and Fusion 11.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos