VMware Communities
mnogrady
Contributor
Contributor

I am unable to upgrade.

I have uploaded and ran the upgrade to version 1.1 under tiger. The Fusion package refuses to run. I tried first uninstaling the old 1.0 and then installing 1.1 and it still won't work. At least I am able to uninstall the 1.1 and reinstall the 1.0 and that still works. What should I look at. I tried searcing the forum but found no answers for 1.1 not running at all.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

What do you mean when you say "The Fusion package refuses to run" or "...and it still won't work" What doesn't run, what won’t work? What error messages, if and, exact wording, etc... Sorry but without more information your question is rather vague. Being more explicit about what won’t work would keep us from having to guess at what you mean or are trying to say. Just remember the accuracy of the answer you’re given might just be in direct proportion to the details you give! Smiley Happy

Have a look at: If you want to ask a question, read first.

0 Kudos
mnogrady
Contributor
Contributor

I really only need 1 answer. Does 1.1 work under Tiger or only Leapord? I have another attached drive that for experimental purposes I have upgraded to Leapord, until I get all my support software(i.e. Superduper) working under Leopard. So i went to that disk and 1.1 loaded and ran fine. Did I miss something, is anyone else running 1.1 under Tiger, or is it only for Leapord?

Thank you

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I would like to give more information. When I update it and try to start it it won't run period. So I can't get any logs or information to you. It just shows fails to start.

When I delete it and reinstall 1.0 it runs fine.

There is no error messag. It just won't run. I looked at the "Help us help you", it provides no way for me to get data from a program that won't start. Do you have any suggestions of why it isn't? Is there a FAQ somewhere on how to do an upgrade of Fusion so I can make sure I am not doing something wrong?

Well you have already downgraded to 1.0 so this is moot, however while by no means complete the following is offered to to elicit more specific information than "When I update it and try to start it it won't run period." provides.

1. If you click Finder > Applications > (double-click) Vmware Fusion at the GUI level several things happen, the VMware Fusion menu bar appears, the Virtual Machine Library window appears and the VMware Fusion icon appears in the Dock. Behind the scenes (at the file level) a log file is created at /Users/$/Library/Logs/VMware Fusion/vmware-vmfusion.log and this log would have been helpful to have.

2. If you double-click on a VMware Fusion VM Package Bundle in the ~/Documents/Virtual Machines folder the above GUI elements appear along with the VM's window and the VM will run. There is a log file in the VM's package bundle as well.

3. When OS X loads there are several VMware processes that run automatically and can be viewed in Activity Monitor (Finder > Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor). Some of them are vmnet-bridge, vmnet-dhcpd, vmware-natd, and vmware-netifup. In addition, when 1 above occurs several other processes occur, some terminating moments later, however one process in particular remains and that is vmware. When 2 above occurs in addition to what happens as a result of 1 there is a process named vmware-vmx and this process can exist even after the vmware process is terminated.

So, did you try 1 and or 2 and if just 1 did any of the GUI elements described above appear on the screen and even if none of the GUI elements appeared did the vmware process appear in Activity Monitor or was the log file created with the current date/time stamp, that of the time of execution? If you tried 2 did a VM window appear and did it run?

Anyway there are numerous other things happening at the file level however those are just some thoughts and I'm sure having more specific information will enable someone else to help you better than I could. Smiley Happy

WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I really only need 1 answer. Does 1.1 work under Tiger or only Leapord?

Mac OS X version 10.4.9 or later

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Fusion 1.1 definitely runs under Tiger (10.4), can you describe what you mean by "1.1 doesn't run", do you get an installer error? Does the install complete but then the VMware Fusion icon doesn't launch?

Also do you have your superduper cloned disk connected such that the Finder might be loading 1.0 instead of 1.1? Having two copies Fusion around would be bad. Try unmounting your superduper clone while performing any installs or launching Fusion.

mnogrady
Contributor
Contributor

I reloaded 1.1 and here is the Log I get request #1

Nov 17 11:35:20.648: vmfusion| Log for VMware Fusion pid=403 version=1.1 build=build-62573 option=Release

Nov 17 11:35:20.648: vmfusion| Hostname=michael-nogradys-computer-2.local

Nov 17 11:35:20.648: vmfusion| Using log file /Users/mnogrady/Library/Logs/VMware Fusion/vmware-vmfusion.log

Nov 17 11:35:20.692: vmfusion| Msg_Reset:

Nov 17 11:35:20.692: vmfusion| http://msg.dictionary.load.statFailed Unable to get information about file "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/messages/en/vmware.vmsg": No such file or directory.

Nov 17 11:35:20.692: vmfusion| -

Nov 17 11:35:20.692: vmfusion| Cannot load message dictionary "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/messages/en/vmware.vmsg".

Nov 17 11:35:20.947: vmfusion| UUID: Unable to open /dev/mem: No such file or directory

Nov 17 11:35:21.161: vmfusion| Msg_Reset:

Nov 17 11:35:21.161: vmfusion| http://msg.dictionary.load.statFailed Unable to get information about file "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/messages/en/tip_list.vmsg": No such file or directory.

Nov 17 11:35:21.161: vmfusion| -

Nov 17 11:35:21.161: vmfusion| Cannot load message dictionary "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/messages/en/tip_list.vmsg".

Nov 17 11:35:21.210: vmfusion| XXXMACOS: Implement HostDeviceInfo_FindHostSoundDevices

Nov 17 11:35:21.234: vmfusion| Could not open /proc/net/dev

Nov 17 11:35:21.234: vmfusion| SGMAC: XXX: SGHostEnumerate not yet implemented

Nov 17 11:35:21.260: vmfusion| SMBIOS: can't open /dev/mem: Could not find the file

Nov 17 11:35:21.260: vmfusion| VmhsHostInfoPopulateSystem: Could not get information from smbios to populate VMDB.

Nov 17 11:35:21.260: vmfusion| UUID: Unable to open /dev/mem: No such file or directory

Nov 17 11:35:21.262: vmfusion| HOSTINFO: Seeing Intel CPU, numCoresPerCPU 2 numThreadsPerCore 1.

Nov 17 11:35:21.262: vmfusion| HOSTINFO: This machine has 1 physical CPUS, 2 total cores, and 2 logical CPUs.

Nov 17 11:35:21.778: vmfusion| Foundry Init: setting up global state (0 threads)

Nov 17 11:35:21.795: vmfusion| Foundry Init: version 2, hostType 1, hostName (null), hostPort 0, options 0x203

Nov 17 11:35:22.437: vmfusion| Checking for updates using URL http://www.vmware.com/info?id=471.

Nov 17 11:35:22.766: vmfusion| FILE: FileIO_SetExcludedFromTimeMachine Couldn't dlsym : No such file or directory.

for #2 I can't find the indicated folder' I looked in the documents file folder under user/mine is there another place to look?

for #3 there are no VMware processes running that I can tell until I start VMware and no GUI ever comes up, but the process sucks up about 99 percent of the CPU and does nothing else, as far as I can tell.

Thank you very much for your help.

Michael Nogrady

0 Kudos
mnogrady
Contributor
Contributor

Aha! I do have s Superduper cloned disk. I will try unmounting it and running the install again!

0 Kudos
mnogrady
Contributor
Contributor

Oh Well! I tried going as far as disconnecting the clone disk and still hangs the same way.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

My fusion log loads the library after where your log stops. Quit Fusion, reboot, then try moving ~/Library/Preferences/com.vmware.fusion.plist to the Desktop and reload Fusion. Your library will be blank but you can re-open your VMs under ~/Documents/Virtual Machines. If you have a Boot Camp partition it will show up briefly after starting up.

0 Kudos
mnogrady
Contributor
Contributor

Hello:

First of all Thank you both for helping me. I finally located my Virtual Machine file and was able to execute it by clicking on it. I still can't run the application from application and see any GUI or the List of Virtual Machines from my library. It is running right now under 1.1, but it is frustrating that all I can dio is execute the VM and not run the application itself to selct the VMs.

What information should I provide now?

Thank You again:

Michael Nogrady

0 Kudos