VMware Communities
UlrichCM
Contributor
Contributor

HowTo change IDE CD-ROM Drive into SCSI CD-ROM Drive???

I want to read with CDDA Tools from CD-ROMs. If i change all IDE0:0 entries to SCSI1:0 i will get a second SCSI Adapter and a Virtual SCSI VMWare CD-ROM Drive, but my VISTA don't recognize CDs (data, DVD, Audio CD.....).

Please help....thanks.

• MacBook Pro (CoreDuo)

• OS X 10.5.1

• VMware Fusion 1.1

• Microsoft Windows Vista, german

0 Kudos
10 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Is your VM set up to use the physical drive? Does the CD disappear from the Mac desktop when you run the VM?

0 Kudos
UlrichCM
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, the CD Drive is set to the physical drive. With IDE it works fine. If i activate it, it disapears from OS X and raises in VISTA.

This are the VMX entries for IDE (works):

ide0:0.deviceType = "cdrom-raw"
ide0:0.fileName = "cdrom0"
ide0:0.present = "TRUE"
ide0:0.startConnected = "FALSE"

I changed them into:

scsi1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-raw"
scsi1:0.fileName = "cdrom0"
scsi1:0.present = "TRUE"
scsi1:0.startConnected = "TRUE"

other SCSI entries:

scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "16"
scsi0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"
scsi0:0.fileName = "Windows Vista Business.vmdk"
scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0:0.redo = ""

Something wrong?

0 Kudos
UlrichCM
Contributor
Contributor

Heeeeeelp, pleeeeaaaaase.

0 Kudos
cdanr
Contributor
Contributor

I've had very limited success with the SCSI drivers in Vista with Fusion 1.1. All I wanted to do was burn discs with my external Firewire DVD/CD burner. The only way I can get the drive to work is to set the virtual machine to boot with the drive disconnected. Then I connect it after I am at the Vista desktop and I can use it to write CDs/DVDs with no problems. However, it will NOT read properly, not even the discs I just completed burning. They are burned properly the SCSI driver just messes up the drive's ability to read properly it appears. In device manager if I uninstall the drive in question and then scan for hardware changes with the drive disconnected it finds the VMWare SCSI driver. However, if I scan for hardware changes with the drive connected it displays a yellow exclamation point and will neither read NOR write.

By the way I am using Fusion with my Boot Camp installation of Vista.

It's a pain in the rear but I configured my iMac's Superdrive to be IDE in the VMX file and now I just use my external firewire drive as SCSI to burn. It's a jerry-rig to be sure but it works.

Now if I could only get Shared Folders working.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Heeeeeelp, pleeeeaaaaase.

Have a look at: IDE CD\DVD-ROM to SCSI CD\DVD-ROM HOWTO http://communities.vmware.com/message/830252

0 Kudos
cdanr
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the time and effort you put into your excellent guide. Unfortunately, although it works better for me than the LSILogic drivers did I now have a different problem. A CD will spin up and show the proper filenames, etc but the icons do not show properly. I only get generic icons such as when Windows is unable to properly identify a file. Testing with both the Windows Vista CD and the Office 2007 CD when I click on the setup files I get a DOS window and the message "Program too big to fit in memory" and nothing happens.

Frustratingly closer but still not there yet. I carefully copied all of the lines from your sample VMX file. I get the same results in both my 24" aluminum iMac's Superdrive and my Pioneer external DVD drive (Firewire) with both CDs.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Thank you for the time and effort you put into your excellent guide. Unfortunately, although it works better for me than the LSILogic drivers did I now have a different problem. A CD will spin up and show the proper filenames, etc but the icons do not show properly. I only get generic icons such as when Windows is unable to properly identify a file. Testing with both the Windows Vista CD and the Office 2007 CD when I click on the setup files I get a DOS window and the message "Program too big to fit in memory" and nothing happens.

Frustratingly closer but still not there yet. I carefully copied all of the lines from your sample VMX file. I get the same results in both my 24" aluminum iMac's Superdrive and my Pioneer external DVD drive (Firewire) with both CDs.

Well I'm sorry to have to say this... I originally made these changes on a Windows XP VM, that had a IDE Hard Disk, and actually wrote to writable optical media and read back from same media without any issues. Unfortunately I just transcribed those changes as necessary for the Vista VM with SCSI Hard Disk existing and when it correctly recognized the virtual hardware I though it would be no different than in Windows XP. In other words I tested it completely in XP and it worked and since the hardware showed correctly in Vista I assumed it worked.

My apologies for not being through in my testing before posting. I have asked to have the post removed.

Thank you,

Woodyz

0 Kudos
cdanr
Contributor
Contributor

No worries and there was no harm in trying your method. I am going to go back to enabling my Superdrive as IDE and my external as SCSI with the LSIlogic driver. As I said that way I can burn CDs and DVDs properly just not read them (yet). I hope VMware addresses this soon. The best scenario would be for them to upgrade the IDE drivers so they are able to use the drives for burning properly. Parallels won't even work with Firewire-based DVD drives at all so Fusion is already way ahead in the game.

0 Kudos
UlrichCM
Contributor
Contributor

Did i understand? There is no solution? The internal CD-ROM drive won't work in SCSI mode?

I only need DMA transfers for the CDDA Apps. Windows says i have DMA access but thats not true. If i start the CDDA Application Fusion says i should try to use my CD-ROM as SCSI Drive......

0 Kudos
lyew
Contributor
Contributor

Does this link still exist? I'm getting a "thread not found" message.

0 Kudos