VMware Communities
ozzy52
Contributor
Contributor

How to uninstall window vista basic installed on VMware fusion (Mac OS leopard platform)

Hi folks! I have Mac pro ( Mac OS X -leopard). I needed a program that runs only on windows.So I installed VMware Fusion upon which I Installed Vista successfully.The application I need to run on vista needs JAVA program. Unfortunately, for some reason Java control panel does not start in vista. The whole computer goes into spin mode( freezes) whenever I try to run that Citrix application/program in window vista. Does any body know what is the problem? Now I want to uninstall Vista and try to install thru boot camp partition. May be Java will run Ok that way. How can I do that?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

You don't uninstall an OS in a Virtual Machine you just delete the Virtual Machine Package.

VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > VMware Fusion Help > Running VMware Fusion and Virtual Machines > Deleting a Virtual Machine Using the Finder

VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > VMware Fusion Help > Running VMware Fusion and Virtual Machines > Deleting a Virtual Machine Using the Virtual Machine Library

ozzy52
Contributor
Contributor

Thanx for the feed back. I will try that. BTW, can uninstall Vista by uninstalling VMware fusion?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

BTW, can uninstall Vista by uninstalling VMware fusion?

Uninstalling Fusion does not remove Virtual Machines, that must be done manually. Just like uninstalling Microsoft Office doesn't remove your Word Documents or Excel Workbooks, etc.

ozzy52
Contributor
Contributor

Great. You are already a lot of help. Now, can you explain why Java is not running in window vista basic? Is it something to do with VM? I have no problem with other programs running in vista. This is driving me crazy.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Now, can you explain why Java is not running in window vista basic? Is it something to do with VM? I have no problem with other programs running in vista. This is driving me crazy.

It might be driving you crazy but it drives me even more crazy when people ask questions like that which are ambiguous in their nature and not provide any information of substance that could be use to start analyzing a problem that is technical in its nature. Smiley Happy

Okay here is what I know from what you've said so far, Your using Leopard but didn't say what version, your using Fusion although you didn't say what version other then a tag for 2.0 but are you really using 2.0 or maybe 2.0.1, you using "window vista basic" but didn't say if is SP1 or fully updated or if you have VMware Tools installed, you said Java but didn't say what version, you said a Citrix application but didn't say what application or version, you said "The whole computer goes into spin mode( freezes) whenever I try to run that Citrix application/program in window vista." but did you mean the Mac or the Virtual Machine and while "whole computer" might suggest the Mac the problem with ambiguity is it open to interpretation. You said Java is not running but haven said if your getting any errors or if you done anything to diagnose why it's not running. Are you starting to get the picture? Smiley Happy

Anyway I'm not sure that this is a Fusion issue per se and I would start by troubleshooting the Java install utilizing resources at java.com or sun.com and testing with a basic simple Java application

What happens when you try... How do I test whether Java is working on my computer?

0 Kudos
ozzy52
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Woody,I understand your point. Sorry to drive you nuts.However, you are interesting man with a lot of knowledge and experience.So here is the details you are looking for

1) Mac Version- Mac OSX 10.5.5 ( Mac Pro) Host

2) WMware - WMware Fusion 2.0

3) Window Vista (Guest) version - Vista SP1

4) VMware tools installed

5) JAVA Version - 6.0 update10 or 11 (latest)

6) Citrix version- Citrix ICA

When I open vista control panel ( classic view) and then click on JAVA to open JAVA control panel, it tries to open it then it freezez. The cursor freezes. The wheel starts spinning I can't do anything.Ultimately The VMmachine freezez I tried to quite the program but nothing responds. I know if the JAVA runs everything will be back to normal.The only option left is to power off the computer,This sometimes locks the VM vista.

This is an interesting case for smart person like you and challenge too.

I also tested whether java is working on my computer in Vista VM and same thing happened , the VM machine froze. I hope this will give you reasonably good picture of my situation.

Should I uninstall vista and then WMware Fusion and go thru Boot camp and install Vista and then run Java and other programs?

What do you think?

Hi Woody

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Woody,I understand your point. Sorry to drive you nuts.However, you are interesting man with a lot of knowledge and experience.So here is the details you are looking for

2) WMware - WMware Fusion 2.0

3) Window Vista (Guest) version - Vista SP1

5) JAVA Version - 6.0 update10 or 11 (latest)

Close but not complete... What version of Vista, what Citrix ICA Client and its version, what version of Java is it 10 or is it 11 and (latest) is never the correct answer!

Since you can't open the Java Control Panel you can in a Command Prompt type java -version and press Enter to see what it reports back.

Also have a look at as a guideline.

When I open vista control panel ( classic view) and then click on JAVA to open JAVA control panel, it tries to open it then it freezez. The cursor freezes. The wheel starts spinning I can't do anything.Ultimately The VMmachine freezez I tried to quite the program but nothing responds. I know if the JAVA runs everything will be back to normal.The only option left is to power off the computer,This sometimes locks the VM vista.

This is an interesting case for smart person like you and challenge too.

I also tested whether java is working on my computer in Vista VM and same thing happened , the VM machine froze. I hope this will give you reasonably good picture of my situation.

Should I uninstall vista and then WMware Fusion and go thru Boot camp and install Vista and then run Java and other programs?

What do you think?

FWIW On a MBP running OS X leopard 10.5.5 and Fusion 2.0.0 with a Vista Ultimate SP1 x86 and VMware Tools installed and Java 6 Standard Edition (Version 6 Update 11 Build 1.6.0_11-b03) I have no problem opening the Java Control Panel or the "How do I test whether Java is working on my computer?" link or running Java applications. So I do not believe your issue has anything to do with Fusion per se and you will need to troubleshoot this just like if on a physical computer.

I would start by downloading the full offline installer and then uninstall/reinstall Java and see where you're at then.

Click on this link while in Windows to download the Windows XP/Vista/2000/2003 Offline installer.

0 Kudos
ozzy52
Contributor
Contributor

WOODY thanx again for bearing with me.I am trying my level best to follow your instructions. Here are the additional specifics you needed

2) WMware - WMware Fusion 2.0.0

3) Window Vista (Guest) version - Vista HOME Basic SP1

5) JAVA Version - JDK 6.0 Update 10

since you have no problem opening java control panel in vista ultimate and I have no problem opening Java control panel in my desk top HP window vista premium based computer, may be its Vista Home basic SP1 that is not compatible instead of VMware fusion 2.0.0 . What's is your opinion? I uninstalled and then reinstalled JAVA version JDK 6.0 update 10 ( this is Ok with my desk top) as per your guideline but still same result.

Ozzy

0 Kudos