VMware Communities
Thibet
Contributor
Contributor

How to that Fusion 6 or 7 accept a secondary ethernet card by thunderbolt adapter on an iMac (Late 2013) with Mavericks and a Windows 7 pro vm

Or in french :°)

Comment ajouter une entrée ethernet supplémentaire dans une vm de Windows 7 pro avec Fusion 6 ou 7 (pro) via un adaptateur ethernet thunderbolt sur un iMac (Late 2013) ??

Grand merci !

Claude

0 Kudos
3 Replies
irj972
Contributor
Contributor

Im interested in this also...currently struggling with a small tree 10gbe adapter in a Thunderbolt enclosure insisting on using a Intel 82574L driver.

0 Kudos
nancyz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Thibet,

Welcome to the community. Smiley Happy

If you want your thunderbolt adapter to be installed just like Intel Pro/1000 which is installed by default in your Windows 7 VM, currently this is impossible.

But if you want your vm to use your thunderbolt adapter instead of other adapters on your iMac, say Ethernet, you could add a new virtual network adapter to your VM, and then set this virtual network adapter to bridged to thunderbolt adapter. This could be done by the following steps:

Shutdown the VM --> Go to vm settings --> Add Device...  --> Network Adapter.

Hope this could help.

0 Kudos
irj972
Contributor
Contributor

I spent some time working on my problem over the weekend (as well as upgrading to Yosemite).

I found a suggestion at http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101646...to use the Intel Pro 1000 MT Network Connector. I couldn't get that driver start without reporting an error (-10). My system kept insisting to use the Intel 82597 driver which causes poor performance in bridged mode as its not possible to tune the correct settings to maximise 10be traffic.

I tested Parallels 9 which I had lying around and that works fine with the MT driver allowing me to unlock full 10gbe traffic with my x520 & thunderbolt enclosure so have gone back to using that for the time being.

0 Kudos