VMware Communities
psefadfa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to setup an external display?

Hey guys,

First of all my English isn't very good so I can make a lot of mistakes! Smiley Wink

I have to following problem:

I want to connect windows 7 to an external display in VMware Fusion on my macbook pro, but windows 7 doesn't recognize my display. What can I do? I restarted windows many times but it doesn't work. I have to change the resolution of windows and then I open VMware fusion on my external display. I don't like to change the screen resolution so I ask: How can windows automatically recognize my display and change the resolution of the display automatically?

Thnx a lot!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hyan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Psefadfa,

Welcome to Fusion community~!

You could try below steps:

1. Make sure your VM is running under Full Screen view mode, you could select Fusion menu >  View > Full Screen, because the external display could be detected only running under Full Screen or Unity mode.

2. Upgrade VM Tools to latest version, Fusion menu > Virtual Machine > Install VMware Tools

If this not work, please attach log files or screen movie here, for our further checking, Thanks~!

Harry

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
hyan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Psefadfa,

Welcome to Fusion community~!

You could try below steps:

1. Make sure your VM is running under Full Screen view mode, you could select Fusion menu >  View > Full Screen, because the external display could be detected only running under Full Screen or Unity mode.

2. Upgrade VM Tools to latest version, Fusion menu > Virtual Machine > Install VMware Tools

If this not work, please attach log files or screen movie here, for our further checking, Thanks~!

Harry

0 Kudos
psefadfa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thnx man! You've solved my problem! When I tried to update VMWare Tools, I realized that I never installed VMWare Tools!

Windows now shows the external display! When I opened Unity mode, I was very happy because it's very easy to use!

Thnx!

0 Kudos