VMware Communities
FROH7ART
Contributor
Contributor

How to set OSX Mail as default mail client with WindowsXP in Fusion ?

I've set up the preferences of VMware Fusion to use AppleMail as default for mailto requests.

But Outlook Express is always used for email sent from Windows applications. It's not very easy to manage the two databases.

Did I missed something ?

Thank you.

Message was edited by: FROH7ART

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Did you update Tools in the guest? Is Virtual Machine > Settings > Sharing > Allow the virtual machine to open applications on your Mac enabled (for security, it's off by default)?

FROH7ART
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you.

Tools are up-to-date.

The setting which allows the virtual machine to open applications on the mac was disabled.

So, I enabled it, I've restarted Windows and the client but ther is no change...

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Is the preference to use Mail.app as the mailto handler enabled? Try disabling/enabling it to make sure the guest notices?

FROH7ART
Contributor
Contributor

I've tried to disable/enable this preference then shut down XP, restart Fusion but there is no effect. Don't you think that internet options into IE has priority ?

I suppose that internet options of WindowsXP preferences panel should be disabled not to interfere with this setting in Fusion but I don't know if there is a way to do this.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

It sounds as though something is overwriting your choices and resetting them back to Outlook Express (or they're not being written properly in the first place).

Given that you've already confirmed your running tools and that the Fusion Preferences UI has the correct settings for mailto: I'm suspicious that the preference in the windows guest is being overwritten.

What happens if you use the 'Run...' item from the Start Menu and then enter

mailto:me@example.com

into the text field and press OK ?

It should (given your settings) launch the Mac OS X Mail app and give you the composition window to start entering a messsage.

0 Kudos
FROH7ART
Contributor
Contributor

I tried to reinstall WindowsXP to check with another virtual machine. But It's always the same problem.

So I tried the "Run" field (Awk method) with the command mailto and then it works : Mac OS X Mail launches with composing window !

But it only works in this case.

Which could be the preference overwritten with resetting back with OE ?

0 Kudos
FROH7ART
Contributor
Contributor

May someone help me for Christmas ?

Smiley Wink

0 Kudos