VMware Communities
jcwen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to send Ctrl-Alt to a GuestOS

Hi all, I am using VMware Fusion 12, and my host OS is macOS Big Sur while guest OS is ubuntu 16.04. Have spent a long time trying to find a solution but was unlucky :/.

Looks like there are solutions for "Ctrl-Alt-Del" but I just need "Ctrl+Alt" since I am using QEMU inside ubuntu and it requires "ctrl-alt" to release the mouse hold. 😭

Any help would be appreciate!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Control+Option should normally work, doesn't it work for you?

Seems to work fine for me here in a debian VM.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Control+Option should normally work, doesn't it work for you?

Seems to work fine for me here in a debian VM.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
jcwen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, it works!!!

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
jcwen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just notice that only "Control+Option" does not work. I need to click my mouse when pressing "Control+Option" to let QEMU release the mouse grab.

Update for further reference.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Not sure I understand.

You first need to click the mouse for your VM to have focus (if you come from another VM or from the host)

Then with Control+Option you are sending to the nested QEMU guest that you want to release the keyboard.

If the guest OS isn't releasing the mouse.. try taking it back via the host keys (control+command) which should take back the mouse to macOS. With another mouse click you can then get the mouse back in the guest OS.

--
Wil

0 Kudos
jcwen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The real solution is, when I'm inside the VM (the guest OS has the focus) with nested QEMU  (QEMU hold the mouse and keyboard of VM), I need to, first hold pressing "Control+Option", then make a click inside the VM. Finally the QEMU gives me back the control.

It's weird with such operation, and I don't know why. Ideally it should be only "Control+Option", and before moving to VMware, in Virtual Box, I can achieve that just by "control+command".

0 Kudos