VMware Communities
BMcGroarty
Contributor
Contributor

How to prevent VMWare Fusion from popping up when taking snapshots?

Each time VMWare Fusion takes a snapshot, the application restores itself to the desktop if it has been Hidden with Command+H.

Is there a way to make it take its snapshots without constantly resurfacing? You can imagine the fun with six Linux guests, all with their daily snapshots occurring at different times.

I would prefer not to switch to running these headless. I do want to be able to Command+Tab to VMWare Fusion see all six Linux console windows at times.

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Could I ask why you're taking the daily snapshots?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
BMcGroarty
Contributor
Contributor

Rolling back these machines is a fairly frequent occurrence, given that they're testing in-place rolling software deployment routines.

The snapshots are used to provide coherent backups, something that macOS Time Machine doesn't always offer when backing up live VMs.

I'd snapshot more than daily if the popup behavior weren't a constant distraction.

Alternate question: Could I ask why the virtual machine windows unhide when taking snapshots? Is there a user story where this would be a preferred behavior?

0 Kudos