VMware Communities
algebravic
Contributor
Contributor

How to keep VMware Fusion from hanging up?

I have VMware Fusion (just updated to the latest version) on my macbook pro 13".  I had (perhaps unwisely) created a virtual machine whose virtual disk resides on an external disk which I access via wifi on my Airport Extreme.  I just tried to create a new virtual machine (with Windows XP professional).  I inserted the XP professional disk, and VMware fusion proceeded and I entered the serial number which it accepted.  The problem is, that VMware Fusion also insisted on starting the VM whose disk is remote.  And now I can't get VMware to respond at all!  I just get the infamous beach ball when I try to get into the window.  The activity monitor says that VMware is not responding, so I force quit it.  Unfortunately, when I start it up again, it resumes in the bad state where it left off!  How can I start VMware fusion (after force quitting it) so that it won't start any VMs?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
pfonseca
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I guess if you go to ~/Library/Preferences and delete com.vmware.fusion.plist and com.vmware.fusion.plist.lockfile, should be able to start VMware Fusion without a list of Virtual Machines on the GUI.

If that does not work, brute force will be delete com.vmware.fusion* on ~/Library/Preferences

Hope that help.

Regards,

Pinto da Fonseca My Environment: - MacBook Pro 13" Core i7/8GB RAM (Early 2011) OS X Lion 10.7.3 - Mac Mini Server Core i7/8GB RAM (Late 2011) OS X Lion Server 10.7.3 - Fusion v4.1.2
0 Kudos