VMware Communities
Mike_O_Brien
Contributor
Contributor

How to install open-vmware-tools in Fedora Core 8?

I recently installed Fedora Core 8 under VMware Fusion 1.1.1 on my Mac, and installed the VMware tools (of course). They worked fine. Then I did a "yum upgrade", which took my kernel to 2.6.23 and my userland to goodness-knows-where, and life got much worse. The VMware tools kernel modules won't load any more, and they won't compile, either.

So, I downloaded the latest (this week!) version of open-vmware-tools. They built just fine, thanks, kernel modules as well, but I can't figure out how to install them. Although the documentation states that there is no "install" target, there is one, but all it does is copy stuff to /usr/lib/vmware-tools. It doesn't install kernel modules or commands. The documentation says that they don't want to replace all the work that's gone into the Python installer, but I can't see how to use that installer without rolling an entire new vmtools distribution.

Is there any more direct way of installing open-vmware-tools? Or are they really only for use by distribution-builders? Because without them, I'll be forced to either do without, or roll back to an older Linux.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Looking at the vmware tools /etc/init.d script, the VMware kernel modules are loaded from:

/lib/modules/`uname -r`/misc, which for Ubuntu that's /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/misc.

I would create a directory with name emitted by uname -r under /lib/modules, replacing all the .o files with the versions created by your build of the open vmware tools. This other thread: suggests the breaking kernel changes didn't occur until 2.6.24 so I'm not sure why moving to 2.6.23 would have broken your Tools.

0 Kudos