VMware Communities
IanG
Contributor
Contributor

How to get two guests on differnet lans to communicate

My host is running VMware Fusion 3.1.1 on Mac OS X 10.6.4, and IP 192.168.0.101.

I have two solaris 10 vm guests that have ip 192.168.86.151 (& 152) using a "Bridge(Custom)" network adapter (i.e., VMnet7).

I need to configure my other guest (Mac OS X 10.5), ip 172.16.79.150 (I have no idea how it's getting this IP - the config indicates DHCP) to be able to communicate with the other guests and they with it.

How do I do this?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Need to see full output of ifconfig on the Host.

Copy & paste the following commands, as is, and press Enter...

On the Host in a Terminal... (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal)

ifconfig -a > ~/Desktop/host_ifconfig.txt

This will create a file on the Host's Desktop named host_ifconfig.txt

Attach the host_ifconfig.txt file to a reply post.

Also do not cross-post the same issue as you have in the Virtual Machine & Guest OS Community after having posted it here in the VMware Fusion® (for Mac) Community.

0 Kudos
IanG
Contributor
Contributor

Attached is a copy of the output of ifconfig -a.

Sorry about the "cross-post". At first I thought it might be Fusion related but reconsidered and thought it might be more general.

Thanks,

Ian

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

My host is running VMware Fusion 3.1.1 on Mac OS X 10.6.4, and IP 192.168.0.101.

Okay ifconfig shows the Host's Network Adapter en1 at that IP Address and it looks normal.

I have two solaris 10 vm guests that have ip 192.168.86.151 (& 152) using a "Bridge(Custom)" network adapter (i.e., VMnet7).

Okay ifconfig only shows vmnet1 and vmnet8 at the IP Addresses below so how did you create " "Bridge(Custom)" network adapter (i.e., VMnet7)"? BTW I know how I'd do it however if you're having any issues specifically with this customization then I need to know what modifications you made and to what files you've made those modifications.

vmnet1: inet 192.168.162.1

vmnet8: inet 192.168.3.1

I need to configure my other guest (Mac OS X 10.5), ip 172.16.79.150 (I have no idea how it's getting this IP - the config indicates DHCP) to be able to communicate with the other guests and they with it.

Is that Mac OS X Server 10.5? What config are you referring to, screen shot would be helpful.

Also it would be helpful to see copies of the .vmx configuration files for each Guest and you can archive and attache then to a reply. If you need help in location them have a look at;

0 Kudos
IanG
Contributor
Contributor

I did not create the "Bridged(Custom)" or "VMnet7" network adapter. It is part of a virtual demo/training environment that I was given.

This demo/training environment is not meant to communicate with the host or the internet. It should be isolated from them.

I have attached the .vmx file for one of the solaris guest.

I separately obtained a Mac OS X 10.5 vmware image which I want to add to this demo/training environment. It should be able to communicated with the other guest vms but not with the host or the internet. I have attached the .vmx file for this OS X 10.5 image.

In theory, how would you configure this guest Mac OS X 10.5 to achieve my stated objective?

Thanks,

Ian

0 Kudos
IanG
Contributor
Contributor

The .vmx for the Mac is very large and was taking a long time to upload so I removed it.

Thanks,

Ian

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

The .vmx for the Mac is very large and was taking a long time to upload so I removed it.

The .vmx file should be very small ~4KB make sure it is the .vmx file not any other file extension.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I did not create the "Bridged(Custom)" or "VMnet7" network adapter. It is part of a virtual demo/training environment that I was given.

So you've just loaded these Virtual Machines on your Mac the way they were given to you and haven't made any modifications to the Default VMware Virtual Network Infrastructure that is installed/configured by VMware Fusion, is that correct?

This demo/training environment is not meant to communicate with the host or the internet. It should be isolated from them.

If that is the case then you could just use Host Only in the Virtual Machine's Network Settings.

Otherwise the VMnet7 Switch will have to be manually created as there is no way at the present time to do this via the VMware Fusion GUI.

I have attached the .vmx file for one of the solaris guest.

Except for one missing parameter everything looks fine in the .vmx file and the issue is you do not have a VMnet7 Switch present on the Mac in VMware Fusion. If VMnet7 actually existed you would also need the following parameter in the .vmx configuration file.

ethernet0.bsdName = "vmnet7"

>I separately obtained a Mac OS X 10.5 vmware image which I want to add to this demo/training environment. It should be able to communicated with the other guest vms but not with the host or the internet. I have attached the .vmx file for this OS X 10.5 image.

>

>In theory, how would you configure this guest Mac OS X 10.5 to achieve my stated objective?

Is this Virtual Machine of Mac OS X Server or Mac OS X Client?

Message was edited by: WoodyZ

Modified original comment I made on the .vmx configuration file.

0 Kudos
IanG
Contributor
Contributor

Actually there is no .vmx file. Instead there is only one 32 GB binary file for the entire Mac image.

0 Kudos
IanG
Contributor
Contributor

This is a Mac OS X 10.5 server.

In theory, how should I configure the Mac guest via the GUI to be able to communicate with the other guests?

I have changed the Mac guest IP to be on the same LAN (i.e. 192.168.86) but still cannot communicate with the other guests.

I am guessing because it is on a different virtual switch. I think a route needs to be defined to the 192.168.86 LAN.

Tried setting the default route to 192.168.86.2 and also to 192.168.3.2, but still does not work.

Or perhaps I should set the Mac guest to use NAT instead of Bridged.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Actually there is no .vmx file. Instead there is only one 32 GB binary file for the entire Mac image.

Are you referring the the .vmdk file? If yes this is the virtual hard disk and you need to have a .vmx file that points to it in order to use it.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Why are you trying to make this so complicated!? You previously said "It should be able to communicated with the other guest vms but not with the host or the internet." so if you set all three Virtual Machine's Network Adapters to Host Only and then down vmnet1 so the Host cannot communicate with the Guests and vise verse however all three Guests will be able to communicate with each other. Isn't this what you want?

0 Kudos
IanG
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, don't mean to make this complicated.

Yes that is what I want as you described, except I do not want to change the other guests to vmnet1. I want to leave them as vmnet7 and change only the mac.

Taking your suggestion, I changed the mac to host only, set it's IP to the same LAN as the other guests, updated /etc/resolv.conf, etc. but still the mac cannot communicate with the other guests.

Do you have any other suggestions.

Thanks much!

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Attach a copy of the "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/networking" file along with the output of ifconfig redirected to a text file on all three Guests.

0 Kudos