VMware Communities
renatob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to get a 1280 x 720 window size (Mac Guess)

I am wondering how can I do to get the 1280x720 window size. I installed a Mac guess on Mac to create a tutorial about the high sierra. I need the fusion window in these dimensions.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Make sure you manually install VMWare tools, then if you go into system preferences, display, and opt-click on the resolution button you should get the full list.

renatob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is all that I have:

Captura de Tela 2018-01-24 às 10.35.28.png

0 Kudos
raiford
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There is a command line utility you can use to set the resolution.  You can run it as a normal user and it will affect the current session or you can run it as root (sudo) to permanently store the resolution.

To set the resolution to 1280x720 from a Terminal:

$ sudo /Library/Application\ Support/VMware\ Tools/vmware-resolutionSet 1280 720

Note that you may have to disable the auto dpi option if the resolution keeps snapping back on you.

renatob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for answering.

I tried to use the sudo command and I got this error message from the terminal:

- bash: $: command not found.

I have installed the Vmware tools.

0 Kudos
renatob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have to install a specific version of the VMWare tools to get this command. Now I am getting this  message when I try to use the command resolutionSet:

Invalid height specified. Valid range: [768, 8192]

I did not find any auto dpi option in the Display settings. Could you tell me how can I change it? I am using VMware Fusion

Thanks.

0 Kudos
raiford
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I believe all recent versions of the VMWare Tools for OSX Guests have this tool.  Your previous message appears to show that you were typing the "$" in front of the command.  The dollar sign is just used to represent a user prompt in the terminal.  Sometimes a hash mark ( # ) is used instead to represent the root user.  Anyway, it looks like you already figured that out since it is now showing you a different error message.

Regarding your specific error, I'm surprised to hear it limits you to a minimum height of 768.  Maybe someone else can comment on that.

Regarding disabling the auto high dpi option, I found out how to do it from this post: Fusion 10.0.1 + VMWare Tools - macOS 10.12.6 resolution changes to HiDPI variant when logging in

you can set

~/Library/Preferences/com.vmware.tools.plist

""""

<key>enableAutoHiDPI</key>

<false/>

""""

Basically you have to edit the com.vmware.tools.plist file and change "true" to "false"

renatob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for all your help.

I also did not understand why this limitation. I will be waiting for someone to help me with this question.

0 Kudos
zhus
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The macOS guest requires a minimum resolution 1024x768. Either the height or the width is less than the limitation, the guest will be scaled.

0 Kudos